edelbrock victor jr heads leaking water >

edelbrock victor jr heads leaking water

Notices

edelbrock victor jr heads leaking water

Old 05-26-2013, 12:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default edelbrock victor jr heads leaking water

i have a 2001 htm with the original htm 565ci na motor with edelbrock victor jr heads. in the last couple of days the motor has had a high rpm miss (5800) and after idling for a while the engine coughs when i lay into the throttle. i thought the plugs needed replacing but when i pulled the plugs the next day after running it water poured out of one of the cyl i pulled the heads off the motor and found that 2 cyl's on EACH side of motor had water damage. i had 2 professionals look at it and they both agree that the water damage in cyl's looked like it had been going on for a while, maybe years. 4 cyl's have small pitting, 2 a side, and even the inside of the headers reflect some water just outside the exhaust port. my first thought was blown head gasket but after removing the heads there is absolutely no sign of this. before tear down block was pressure checked and good, heads pressure checked to 30 psi and good but after letting the motor sit over night with just static water pressure in motor the (headers off) exhaust chambers filled with water on 2 cyl's when valve was closed. it was obvious that 4 cyl's have had water in them for a while, maybe all winter. the heads show no indications of being cracked either. scratching our heads the only thing that makes since is the head castings are pourous and water enters slowly when sitting for a while or fast at top speed when pressure is highest. anyone heard of this with these heads? we eliminated every other possibility, we think. the heads have been repalced with dart heads and will see what happens in the next week or so. cyl's not bad enough to hone and re ring but btw edelbrock heads for sale, whats the price for aluminium these days sucks to have boat tore down on a holiday weekend!
Old 05-26-2013, 12:30 AM
Registered

fyi head gaskets were in perfect shape on both sides of engine. also after i pulled plugs out i cranked engine over to blow water out, and some sprayed out, then two days later i did the same thing and the same amount of water sprayed out. this is all before the motor was torn down. after that 2 days later very little sprayed out when cranked over by starter, but some. heads are not cracked too or atleast visabily to a professional. also both headers pressure checked too with no leaks.

Last edited by La/stryker; 05-26-2013 at 01:07 AM.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:54 PM
Registered

intake gaskets looked good too, no indications of water passing and all studs did appear to have sealant on them. sorry for not posting that! not sure if it matters but heads are from 2001 with 260hrs on them. the boat ran great when i bought it at about 240hrs but problems started in the last 2hrs of use. i personally looked at all the gaskets and my uncle (professional) doing the work, its a really strange deal! btw the edelbrock victor jr heads are now for sale for obo plus shipping, bare heads with valves only. i want to sell them but dont want to mislead anyone. maybe we missed something but doesnt matter now because new heads have been installed. i will run the boat in the next couple of days and see what happens. fingers crossed
Old 05-28-2013, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Have you checked the valve guides? They could be leaking.