Old 07-29-2002, 12:13 PM
olysan

Default How's it running?

Have you been able to get your rpms up?

Old 07-29-2002, 12:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

The Vortec head uses a 21-2N stainless exhaust valve (1400 degree?) which is perfectly fine for pleasure boat running. It's applications where constant high rpm are the problem and an upgrade is required. Contrary to popular belief, the marine Vortec small block is essentially the same Vortec that is used in the truck line (or was used, the LS1 has replaced them). The heads and block are off the same assembly line and use the same parts (marine block have brass plugs, of course). I ran Vortecs on my old small block (stock heads at the time) for a whole season, and when they came off, they were in perfect shape. These heads are truly a bolt on affair. If you're worried about the valves, you could upgrade to whatever you're comfortable with and install them before bolting them on (I have a sweet Snap-On valve spring compressor that you could use if you want). Even the factory springs are OK for moderate lift cams (anything under .490).
Old 07-29-2002, 12:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

I haven't been out since the intake valve tuliped. I'm in the middle of replacing all of the valves and with my screwy work hours right now, it's been hard to get anything done. I'm hoping that maybe the Holley will help me out with the RPM as there was a problem with the Q-Jet (I still couldn't get max RPM... full thottle was making it fall on its face). Still a lot of tuning to do on all fronts. It's still been fun though!
Old 07-29-2002, 02:07 PM
olysan

I'm having a lot of my own issues. I've got a huge drop in power from last year to this year. I enjoy working on it, but I'd rather be upgrading, I'm not real fond of chasing problems. Good Luck.