Elec and mechanical fuel pumps >

Elec and mechanical fuel pumps

Notices

Elec and mechanical fuel pumps

Old 06-10-2013, 09:55 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have taken a photo of my pump setup but having issues posting. If you want me to send please provide your email.

The set-up that i have is: fuel line from tank to fuel separator, 2 lines coming out of fuel separator, 1 line to mechanical fuel pump, other to electric fuel pump. Outlet side of mechanical fuel pump combines with the electric fuel pump and goes to the carb,
I hope this is not too confusing. The photo will clear up the description. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:26 PM
Registered

Received 286 Likes on 177 Posts

PM sent..
Old 06-11-2013, 11:06 PM
Registered

Thx for the pic goin70 and all the responses from the group!

After speaking to the manuf of my mechanical pumps, and the responses I have received here, I think I'm going to shelve the elec back-up pump idea for now.
I'm having the mech pumps rebuilt. When they come back I'll keep a close eye on them. First hint of low fuel press though; I'll be revisiting the elec back-up idea again.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:23 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what your saying is that you want it to come on automaticly if the mech pump pressure drops below a certain point? Now your getting into pressure switches in the fuel line between the pump and carb and elec pump would need to be plumbed in after the mech pump so it doesn't have to push thru the now broken mech pump.
Sounds like a nightmare to me and some serious overkill. Install some fuel pressure guges if your that worried about it and be done with it. How about an elc oil pump in case you have a drop in oil pressure?
Old 06-13-2013, 08:30 PM
Registered

Fuel press indicators are definitely on the list. Just wish someone made one with alarm capability,, kinda like a depth finder that has alarms for water depth being too shallow.

If oil press drops, chances are you got more problems than just a bad oil pump..
Old 06-13-2013, 08:59 PM
Registered

check out fwmurphy.com they make guages and alarms. might be someone close by, they do lot of ag/oil industry.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:41 PM
Registered

Hook a pro light or similar up and mount in dash so that when fuel pressure drops below set pressure it blinds you (figure of speech, but you definitely can't miss it). We used to run 2 in our boat, one for oil pressure and one for exhaust temp. Should have had one for fuel as in the end the mech pump gave up mid race and melted pistons and sent the metal through turbos. Never knew it was the mech pump until it went on dyno after rebuild and couldn't get fuel pressure up!
Old 06-13-2013, 10:24 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by zz28zz
Thx for the pic goin70 and all the responses from the group!

After speaking to the manuf of my mechanical pumps, and the responses I have received here, I think I'm going to shelve the elec back-up pump idea for now.
I'm having the mech pumps rebuilt. When they come back I'll keep a close eye on them. First hint of low fuel press though; I'll be revisiting the elec back-up idea again.
Why don't you just use a fuel pressure switch? When fuel pressure drops below 4psi it removes 12v from the ignition and shuts down the engine. When it removes the 12v it then turns on an idiot light on your dash using a normally closed 12v relay. Below 4psi and your ignition will be off and the bowls will dry up with the spark gone. $30 in parts.

Last edited by Rookie; 06-13-2013 at 10:30 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by keith2500hd
check out fwmurphy.com they make guages and alarms. might be someone close by, they do lot of ag/oil industry.
Thx for the link. I checked it out and it looks like quality stuff. Unfortunately the lowest press switchgauge they offer is a 0-80 psi. Might work good with F.I. but not so good with a low press fuel sys. They did mention offering special switchgauges but would require a min order.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Kurt Hamilton
Hook a pro light or similar up and mount in dash so that when fuel pressure drops below set pressure it blinds you (figure of speech, but you definitely can't miss it). We used to run 2 in our boat, one for oil pressure and one for exhaust temp. Should have had one for fuel as in the end the mech pump gave up mid race and melted pistons and sent the metal through turbos. Never knew it was the mech pump until it went on dyno after rebuild and couldn't get fuel pressure up!
Sorry to hear abt the meltdown. One of my engs suffered a similar fate. Lucky for me it belonged to the prev owner when it happened.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.