Question on books for SBC marine builds >

Question on books for SBC marine builds

Notices

Question on books for SBC marine builds

Old 06-13-2013, 10:49 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question on books for SBC marine builds

I always hear about Dennis Moore's book when researching building SBC's for marine use. I was just wondering are they still worth the premium they are commanding when they do come up for sale?

They were published in 2000, so we are talking about a book printed 14 years ago. Granted I am still building engines from this time period, but wondering what else is out there on building and tuning the old gen 1, vortec head SBC 350's for marine use? Seems odd that nothing better would have come out in the last 14 years?

Thank you to any who can offer info,

Brian
Old 06-14-2013, 12:29 AM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

I have nothing against Mr. Moore but I would not purchase the book at some of the prices I've seen over the past years. If it were a reasonable price on the used market I would use it for REFERENCE, and not the Bible of SBC builds. PM me if you want my other opinions.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:54 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked around high and low for a reasonably priced copy of that book for a few years when I used to mess with small blocks.

Couldnt find one I was willing to spend the money on.
Besides parts recomendations, which are now outdated, the useful stuff like Marine engine specific compression ratio and cam selection to aviod reversion - can all be found right here!
Old 06-14-2013, 03:59 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good points on finding the info here. Really I was interested in just reading the book for my next engines I am starting to build. I figure buy one, read it and copy any info I want to save then resell it to get most of my money back. But I do wonder if there is a newer book out there with information from the past 14 years!

I like wrenching on motors and want to build up a set of 355's like sprink has in his 255 over time. Somewhere around 400 hp I figure. That would be fun in the 272 with the drives raised up about 2" or so! Longer term plans. For now I have to just get the damn boat running......

Brian
Old 06-14-2013, 11:37 PM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

Like Fly said much of the information can be found here or in other forums. It may not be condensed into one spot, and some of it may be poor advice, but that usually gets flushed out pretty quickly.