Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
new baja owner, blown motor , need advice please. >

new baja owner, blown motor , need advice please.

Notices

new baja owner, blown motor , need advice please.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took it to a very good shop here locally. they are going to look into the damage, and let me know my options. I wanted someone that has worked on these a million times doing the work. I would love to buy a new 502 or 496, but the cost is a lot right now.

rebuild from a good shop would be nice, however would cause it to be down all summer... I want it up and running asap.

I will keep you all in the loop for whats going on, id love to put a new motor in and upgrade to the fuel injected motor. just have to see the cost.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:40 AM
Registered

Machine shops here in southern ohio keep up real well. I got mine done in 1 week in march. But I build my own motors and do my own heads in my small machine shop. I have a good relation with the closest shop as I used to race with him.
Hope u get back on the water soon. I hate that u bought a boat and its broke down. That sucks!
I have a light for my oil pressure like we used in racing in case something went wrong. I can't believe u don't have a buzzer or something. It's prob the #1 or #2 rod bearing as they usually go first when the pump quits!!
Old 06-22-2013, 05:34 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cmn130
I took it to a very good shop here locally. they are going to look into the damage, and let me know my options. I wanted someone that has worked on these a million times doing the work. I would love to buy a new 502 or 496, but the cost is a lot right now.

rebuild from a good shop would be nice, however would cause it to be down all summer... I want it up and running asap.

I will keep you all in the loop for whats going on, id love to put a new motor in and upgrade to the fuel injected motor. just have to see the cost.
Sux, especially when you just bought the boat. You've gotten some good advice here. My boat is on its 3rd engine, by choice. Best advice I can think of is get referrals beacuse some of the so called engine builders out there can sell warts to a toad, especially if you're a marine engine newb, lots of BS'rs in the marine engine building world. And as mentioned, cost can snow ball, especially if you go for more power/upgrades. Best of luck!!
Old 06-23-2013, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cmn130

IMO some cost examples of used fresh water engines fully dressed

300 hp 454 $3000-$4000
454 MPI $4-6000
502 MPI $5-7000
496HO MAG $7000-8000
500HP CARB $8000-$10000

Anyone of those engines fully dressed would have you up and running in 1 full day or two nights install, and you can sell your old stuff
Old 06-23-2013, 08:48 AM
Registered

I'm so glad I can do my own building. There's no way I would spend that much money for a engine. 500 hp carb motor 10,000 that's just ridiculous. I have build 750 hp for half that. I could spend the rest on fuel running circles around someone who wasted money!!! But it does mean a lot to some people to buy something that was made by GM that was labeled mercury.
Any word on what the shop found with the bad motor???
Old 06-23-2013, 03:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by So2fast5u
I'm so glad I can do my own building. There's no way I would spend that much money for a engine. 500 hp carb motor 10,000 that's just ridiculous. I have build 750 hp for half that. I could spend the rest on fuel running circles around someone who wasted money!!! But it does mean a lot to some people to buy something that was made by GM that was labeled mercury.
Any word on what the shop found with the bad motor???
Clue us in on how to build a RELIABLE, COMPLETE, 750hp marine engine for 5000$ including procuring every part -ie:the block, heads, cam , induction, oil pan, valve train, etc aside from putting a nitrous bottle on it or stealing parts from someone or waiting years for someone fire sailing parts, inquiring minds want to know!!!

Last edited by articfriends; 06-23-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
IMO some cost examples of used fresh water engines fully dressed

300 hp 454 $3000-$4000
454 MPI $4-6000
502 MPI $5-7000
496HO MAG $7000-8000
500HP CARB $8000-$10000

Anyone of those engines fully dressed would have you up and running in 1 full day or two nights install, and you can sell your old stuff
There"s DEFINATELY a certain value to actually being back on the water this season vs next year, I have kept a spare motor around for years but have never needed it luckily, Smitty
Old 06-23-2013, 08:25 PM
Registered

Well the last bbc I built 7 yrs ago started with a stock block bored out 60 and crank. Used scat forged rods with forged pistons. 11 to 1 compression on 93 pump gas with 37 degree total timing. 8 quart cheap oil pan from eBay with a heavy duty oil pump. Used a hydraulic roller cam with 640 lift and 320 advertise duration. Set a pair of new brodix bb-2 xtra complete heads ($2000) on top of MLS head gaskets. Topped them off with a World products Merlin intake with a 850 mighty demon race carb. Used a MSD al6 box with MSD dist.
Bam just like that 748 hp at 6850 rpm and I think the tourqe was 670 or so.
Dropped this in a home built rear engine dragster and went 8.65 at 160 mph. He ran the car two yrs with no troubles and then traded for a street legal s10.
This would drop right in a boat and run just fine for yrs with no prob. The only thing I would change is the crank to a forged unit cause the boat would be a lot harder on the crank. Everything else pertaining to the engine bolts right on cause the mercruiser is the same thing as a crate engine u could buy from any shop. I just built a sbc for my boat and used nothing from the original engine except what's hanging on the front. Everything else was from old race engines and things I had setting around.
U pay a lot of money to have a special name on your engine. If u get board sometime fire up the computer get on jegs website and price out parts to build a motor. U will be surprised how cheap it is to build one. But hay some people like the fact that a special shop built it. I like it when I blow around those people on the dirt. There is nothing better for me.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by So2fast5u
Well the last bbc I built 7 yrs ago started with a stock block bored out 60 and crank. Used scat forged rods with forged pistons. 11 to 1 compression on 93 pump gas with 37 degree total timing. 8 quart cheap oil pan from eBay with a heavy duty oil pump. Used a hydraulic roller cam with 640 lift and 320 advertise duration. Set a pair of new brodix bb-2 xtra complete heads ($2000) on top of MLS head gaskets. Topped them off with a World products Merlin intake with a 850 mighty demon race carb. Used a MSD al6 box with MSD dist.
Bam just like that 748 hp at 6850 rpm and I think the tourqe was 670 or so.
Dropped this in a home built rear engine dragster and went 8.65 at 160 mph. He ran the car two yrs with no troubles and then traded for a street legal s10.
This would drop right in a boat and run just fine for yrs with no prob. The only thing I would change is the crank to a forged unit cause the boat would be a lot harder on the crank. Everything else pertaining to the engine bolts right on cause the mercruiser is the same thing as a crate engine u could buy from any shop. I just built a sbc for my boat and used nothing from the original engine except what's hanging on the front. Everything else was from old race engines and things I had setting around.
U pay a lot of money to have a special name on your engine. If u get board sometime fire up the computer get on jegs website and price out parts to build a motor. U will be surprised how cheap it is to build one. But hay some people like the fact that a special shop built it. I like it when I blow around those people on the dirt. There is nothing better for me.
Cam seems big for a boat what are the rest of the specs on it like LSA? And 11.1 comp is also a little high for a boat? And what valves are you running in those heads? Inconel? You need to spend a lot of money for quality parts in a high HP boat engine. A race car runs that 6800rpm for 8 seconds. How long are you willing to run that engine at 6800rpm? Boaters run for long periods of time at WOT
Old 06-23-2013, 09:26 PM
Registered

I would run that engine wot beside any engine merc makes and never bat an eye. It had stainless valves from del west n the heads. Can't remember the lsa on the cam. It was a over the shelf cam from bullet cams. Compression has nothing to do with it being in a boat or car, truck, minivan pulling truck.... It has to do with what octane gas u can get to run in it. He wanted max comp on pump gas and I felt safe at 11 to 1.
What do u mean quality parts in a high hp boat engine!!!. It's the same parts man. There just in a boat. A good merc engine is nothing more than a race engine bottom end with non race topend parts. They grind cams to maxizmise power in the rpm they want to run the engine. Take a 500 hp carb merc put on a set of good aluminum heads and hit the lake. U will **** your pants in the difference i garante it. Forged crank rods and pistons with good roller rockers ( shaft rockers are the best) will be bullet proof in any 750 hp engine.
Forged crank. $750
Forged rods. $400
Forged pistons $600
If u tare them parts up with 750 hp u need to find a better engine builder my friend!!!

I really hope this fella gets his boat fixed as I have gave my speed secrets away for free!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.