Gaffrig Outlaw Muffler Results

Notices

Gaffrig Outlaw Muffler Results

Old 07-30-2002, 08:57 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Gaffrig Outlaw Muffler Results

I finally run my new Outlaw mufflers this past weekend. They make quite a difference. I have no actual DB readings but when closed there is a significant difference than the CMI tips I had before. Really pleasant to talk ect. (My wife is happy too) When open and coming on plane is where they are the loudest. After I am on plane the exhaust note seems to mellow out and is quiter than before with the CMI's open. They seem to take the harsh crackling noise out even while open. I would estimate to be 50% quiter than before when running in the open position. I ran them at cruising speed at about 3000 RPM, no noticable power / speed loss and very quiet, we could even talk on the cell phone. I am VERY satisfied with the Outlaws. My only complaint is that I had to go with clamp on and they dont look as good as transom mount.

The only mounting problem I had was the setup uses a "set screw" that you have to drill a 1/4" hole in the top of the pipe and or tip. My setup is with Stainless Marine Dry Pipes and I did not want to remove them for the hole to be drilled. I talked to Mike Livrosi and he said not to worrry as long as I had them slipped on all the way and clamped down tight. I also took the set screws out which are actually stainless steel bolts. I ground a sharp point on them and put a jamb nut on them. Then I tightened them down untill the point dug in to the pipe well and then locked them in place with the jamb nuts. It seem to work fine.

I did plumb them differently, I home ran each tube back to the area wher the pump is mounted and made a manifold out of the T's there, rather than putting the T's back at the transom. This required more tubing and requires the pump to be run about 10 seconds before they close all the way but the good side is they stay shut longer with the extra air tube volume. I did this for ease of future trouble shooting if they dont stay closed. It will allow me to isolate the bad cylinder eaiser.

Here is a picture:
Attached Thumbnails Gaffrig Outlaw Muffler Results-outlaws.jpg  
Old 07-30-2002, 02:10 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally posted by Troutly
NICE !

How is it running top speed wise??
I have not run it up all the way yet, I just put on a set of labbed 28's But with the kids and dog on board I only had it up to 78 Mph. This sunday Tyler Crockett is going to meet me and look a a couple of things. I will most likely run it up then if the water is OK. So Far best speed was 81.6 but with messed up props and only 4500 RPM. It should be about 5300 - 5400. From my last two outings I think the props are just about right or possibly a little light and may have to go to 30's. I am running 1.34 Gears with the IMCO's I am hoping for mid to high 80's . I am going to have some bottom work done too this winter because of a manufacturing error. Many say I shouold get 5 Mph +- with just that. (I Hope)
Old 07-30-2002, 05:06 PM
Bayley

The dreaded "step hook".
I heard Denny (who now is working for Sunsation) talking all about that this weekend on the 380 PQ's.

What is Tyler coming down for? I'm still debating on going to the single source fuel system (ditch the aux. pump and injectors) like what Tyler provides, but I'd like to get the funds together for a 496 crank(s) before hand.

Old 07-30-2002, 07:08 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Tyler will be there for the races. I have had a small oil leak (I think arround the timing cover) He is going to verify where and then fix at a later date. Also I am getting a sooty transom he may adjust the fuel pressure.

On the "step hook" I want to get it fixed during the winter, Too bad I did not know of this board befor buying the boat, It would of saved me some cash.
Old 07-30-2002, 08:05 PM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Bayley,
Don't you get tired of driving by the same thing over and over (great avatar).

What did Denny have to say? Don't worry about holding anything back Ray and I both know how huge of a problem this has been.
Scott
Old 07-30-2002, 10:18 PM
Registered

Raypanic....what type of lowers are on the boat?
Old 07-31-2002, 08:19 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

enticer: They are IMCO lowers with the XR prop shaft (Polished). The Uppers are the New IMCO Extreme SC Drive.

The polished lowers are a pain to keep polished, I may paint them for next year. I put the $100.00 / Kit of Zoops seal on them and after 12 Hours of being in the water they are looking dull agian.
Old 07-31-2002, 10:31 AM
Bayley

Scott,
Cut me some slack man, I live on a V-E-R-Y small lake. Besides, I'm trying to start a new revolution in Offshore Powerboat Racing... NASBOAT!

Basically what Denny said was that he never "agreed" with the lay up process of the hull. I guess the hulls would be left outside for days at a time while the glass cured. This was done year round. So I guess when the boat was manufactured, determines exactly how bad the step hook is. His overall emotion towards this issue was more frustration than remorse (a case of 'I told you so'). When the ownership changed hands was when Denny decided to move on. He told me a shop in Zeeland that did (does) a majority of the Warranty work. I've heard great reviews of this guy, but can't remember his name. Call up Denny at Sunsation to get his name and location.

-Bayley

Old 07-31-2002, 11:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bowkers, in Zeeland does the bottom work for PQ. They have a good reputation.
Old 08-01-2002, 07:56 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry Ray I have started to take away from your thread

Quick Reply: Gaffrig Outlaw Muffler Results

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.