Through hull water pickup help

Notices

Through hull water pickup help

Old 06-25-2013, 01:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Through hull water pickup help

2000 25' daytona,
I'm working on putting in a through hull water pickup and I was looking for some feed back and pictures on how to do it right. How far from the back of the boat, how long should the knoch out be, how big of a hole should be cut so is that there's no wood exposed to water.

Thanks for any help and pictures.
Brad
Old 06-27-2013, 08:42 AM
Registered

I used the adjustable set up from Cp. It works well and can be adjusted but if you use that pick up make sure you don't mount it so high that there are not enough threads in the lower tube to securely mount it in the upper tube. Otherwise it will be flimsy and suck air! Also, if your changinrag from a bravo 1 style pick up to a through transom set up I suggest buying a water pressure valve to regulate the pressure because it will increase.

Last edited by mustangmark; 06-27-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mustangmark
I used the adjustable set up from Cp. It works well and can be adjusted but if you use that pick up make sure you don't mount it so high that there are not enough threads in the lower tube to securely mount it in the upper tube. Otherwise it will be flimsy and suck air! Also, if your changinrag from a bravo 1 style pick up to a through transom set up I suggest buying a water pressure valve to regulate the pressure because it will increase.
I did get a new sea strainer with a pressure relief valve. I was thinking of upswing the same pickup.
I'm sure you didn't just drill a hole and put it in, what did you do to glass it in and did you cut a "U or V" relief in the bottom so the pickup doesn't hang below the bottom?
Old 06-27-2013, 10:04 AM
Registered

I just had external water pickups installed. We had too much water pressure and got a ton of water in both engines in the oil. Becuase of that, you have to change the oil about 10 times, pull the exhaust and exhaust manifold off, change out the head and intake manifild gaskets. It is a mess. As far as pressure relief valves, I think we installed our 15psi valves in the wrong location. We have them before the sea stainers, and they are not working when underway. I think you should have them just before the water enters the block. You have to watch the water pressure close. Once you go too much, it's over. $$$$$$$$. I am still trying to figure out what is too much pressure.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:52 PM
Registered

Guys I'm not needing help on how well or bad the water pickup is working for you, I'm looking for help with installing in the hull, and what to do about any glass work that might need to be done so is that the woof doesn't get wet.
Thanks