Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Going crazy on my Mercruiser 496, need Help! >

Going crazy on my Mercruiser 496, need Help!

Notices

Going crazy on my Mercruiser 496, need Help!

Old 07-14-2013, 12:13 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe those injectors need 44 psi to cycle.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:03 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If fuel pumps are new may need to check regulator. Will fuel system hold pressure when engi e is off. A slow bleed off is normal but an instant fall off isn't.
edit
Assuming fuel plimbing is routed like my 350 mags..
Old 08-05-2013, 07:14 AM
Registered

Time for an update, has been on vaccation so there haven´t been time to experiment with the boat.

-Took away the check valve in pressure tester to see if this change the result. It did!, I now have the right pressure on idle and under run, about 40-41psi. Within range...
When the boat (Engine) stalls/bog down the fuel pressure drops...U can see it clearly on the pressure gauge.

Connected the Engine to an external tank with a long fuel line nearby the helm, the Engine runned perfectly!! So I thought it must be the fuel tank that is causing the Engine to loose pressure...have checked the inside with an underwater camera an also checked the tanks airvent. Nothing remarkably.

So I cross wired the fuel lines to the tank to see if the problem moved to the other Engine, It didn´t. Still Starboard Engine stalls after 1 minute at plane.

Used the external tank again, no problems. There are differt noises on the fuel boost between the Engine when getting ready to start, Could the fuelboost still be broken/weak and can´t keep up under high load.
Thinking that the exernal tank creates a siphon effect that helps the pump when beeing near up the helm...Do anyone have any other theories?????
Old 08-05-2013, 09:31 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Trying to follow along here are you saying a portable fuel tank added help the motor clear up of its running problems? Always try to eliminate which side of the boat your problems are. Boat side or motor side so you done a good thing with the portable fuel tank, fuel line and fresh fuel.

It is wise to add a outboard primer bulb on your portable test tank fuel line to add more fuel to the motor side to see if that helps also as this could tell you of a fuel delivery problem.

Next another test is checking for fuel restrictions with a vacuum gauge inline between the fuel line from the gas tank to your fuel water sep filter if you have the Gen II cool fuel. Gen III cool fuel system is a totally different system and does not have the spin on fuel water sep filter. Anyways a digital vacuum gauge works best for this test - Mercruiser specs are 2 in. Hg (inches of mercury) max of vacuum. Most of the time anything higher than that spec will cause running problems and vapor lock.

Next if you have the Gen II cool fuel system there a small screen under the fuel pressure regulator that very easlly becomes clogged. It can cause a big fuel restriction. It will need to be cleaned. Next you could have a fuel pressure regulator problem.

I think you posted you have a 2001 496 if so this should be the Gen II cool fuel system. But as always I have seen boats that should have what it should have but do not. Example a lot people on this board do not have stock set ups so just saying. If you have Gen III cool system you need to post what you have because that system is totally different to diagnose. No matter what cool fuel system you have you can still do the vacuum test. Good luck

Last edited by BUP; 08-05-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
Trying to follow along here are you saying a portable fuel tank added help the motor clear up of its running problems? Always try to eliminate which side of the boat your problems are. Boat side or motor side so you done a good thing with the portable fuel tank, fuel line and fresh fuel.

It is wise to add a outboard primer bulb on your portable test tank fuel line to add more fuel to the motor side to see if that helps also as this could tell you of a fuel delivery problem.

Next another test is checking for fuel restrictions with a vacuum gauge inline between the fuel line from the gas tank to your fuel water sep filter if you have the Gen II cool fuel. Gen III cool fuel system is a totally different system and does not have the spin on fuel water sep filter. Anyways a digital vacuum gauge works best for this test - Mercruiser specs are 2 in. Hg (inches of mercury) max of vacuum. Most of the time anything higher than that spec will cause running problems and vapor lock.

Next if you have the Gen II cool fuel system there a small screen under the fuel pressure regulator that very easlly becomes clogged. It can cause a big fuel restriction. It will need to be cleaned. Next you could have a fuel pressure regulator problem.

I think you posted you have a 2001 496 if so this should be the Gen II cool fuel system. But as always I have seen boats that should have what it should have but do not. Example a lot people on this board do not have stock set ups so just saying. If you have Gen III cool system you need to post what you have because that system is totally different to diagnose. No matter what cool fuel system you have you can still do the vacuum test. Good luck

-To clearify. Engine pressure drops under load after about 1 minute on plane, now problem to restart.
-Have new fuel line and Connection between the fueltank and Engine.
-Connected starboard Engine too port gastank, still problems with the Engine....bogs down and looses fuel pressure. (Regulator is new inside the cool fuel module)
-Used an external tank without bulb and the Engine runned fine. Had the fuel tank up at the helm about 80cm above the fuel inlet on the Engine. That what I ment about
a siphon effect that helps the pump get more fuel.....just an theory....

You are right my Engines are from 2001 and Gen II cool fuel system.
Have ordered a new fuel boost again and will check the inline filter on the old one as well.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:18 PM
Registered

Summer is over, I think I finally found the solution to my problem. I ran out of fuel on my port engine that I havent had any problems with. After refueling it would not run smoothly. Removed the fuel boost and the filter was full with crap almost like mud. So hooked up two external fuel tanks and the boat ran fine, both engines!
So this must be problem, must empty the tanks, clean them and install extra fuelfilters. Anyone clean their tanks and have any good advice?
Old 11-03-2013, 11:22 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Believe it or not ethanol is a great cleaner. Fill your tanks with that almost full, let that sit and shake up for a while. Then completely drain your tanks, if your tanks are really bad you might need to redo that process.

If you have rust in your fuel tanks that's a different story and might not be able to get 100 % cleaned out. If your fuel tanks are aluminum, aluminum oxide / rust will lead into fuel tank leaks over time. We have seen this before, tiny pin hole leaks in aluminum fuel tanks especially in Center Console boats that had saltwater time on them.

Also do not add any extra filters on top of the filters Mercruiser already designed your engines to run on. Install new ones to replace your old ones but again do not install anymore added fuel filters. That will cause a fuel restriction and cause running problems along with lean running conditions..

Last edited by BUP; 11-04-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:52 PM
Registered

Default 2004 sea ray sundancer 340 twin 8.1s

I have the same problem im dealing with now omg
Old 11-14-2017, 06:58 PM
Registered

Default 2004 sea ray sundancer 340 twin 8.1s

Idles great smooth can bring it up to 1200 1500 no problem i can even pour on the coals to it the power is there once it gets to about 3000 rpm it starts cutting in and out i can keep it running like that all day it seems but i back it off to about 2800 2900 and she steadys i dont get it if i push it above 3000 she will bog down bad i have to back it off
Old 07-30-2023, 09:49 AM
Registered

Default Same issue

Hi was wondering what the final outcome was IAM having the same issue