496 Mag filling bilge with water >

496 Mag filling bilge with water

Notices

496 Mag filling bilge with water

Old 07-09-2013, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 496 Mag filling bilge with water

Thanks to all the other threads, I think understand what to replace. However not sure which one to order?

Actuator Assembly , Water Drain 863717A2 Port
Actuator Assembly , Water Drain 863716A2 Starboard

I have a Twin Engine 2002 Baja 29 outlaw. The Starboard Engine is leaking water on the this air actuator as part of this assembly. Do I order the Starboard one or does this mean the assembly is on the starboard or the port side? Trying to determine the correct one to order? Both appear to be on the right side of the motor when facing the Engine.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chrisb747
However not sure which one to order?

Actuator Assembly , Water Drain 863717A2 Port
I have a Twin Engine 2002 Baja 29 outlaw. The Starboard Engine is leaking water on the this air actuator. Both appear to be on the right side of the motor when facing the Engine.
When facing the front of a stern drive engine package, the right side of the engine will be considered the port side of the boat.

You will need to order Water Drain 863717A2 Port.

Which will be Item number 2. Also if needed for a better confirmation, have a look at the bracket design number 7 vs number 10 on your engine.
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...r+Drain+System

Hope this helps, Good luck.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:46 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,212 Likes on 525 Posts

They do sell rebuild kits for them, but the whole unit is not too expensive. I have a new one sitting on the shelf as I thought I had a bad one. When I took the "bad" one out; turns out it had a splinter of wood stuck in it, holding it open. Might be worth a peak inside of it before you order one. They DO go bad though; somewhat common. The springs go soft.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you! This helps a lot! My buddy indicaticates it should be fairly simple. I will take a better look look " Splinter of wood" Sounds interesting. The leak actually reduced itself the following day. Maybe something was stuck in there? But, It's 11 years old with 650 hours. Probably gonna replace regardless