Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Replacement headers for 525 EFI - Which ones? >

Replacement headers for 525 EFI - Which ones?

Notices

Replacement headers for 525 EFI - Which ones?

Old 07-17-2013, 06:07 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Meshikinquah
FIXX,
Read some of his other post on this boat. It originally had 502 mag mpi engines that he sold and installed these (525's). So it is not the person that sold him the boat he should be talking to. I would be talking to the person that the engine package was purchased from. I think I read that these engines were supposed to be low hr rebuilds.
I think you have me confused with someone else. I didn't replace the engines in this boat. I just bought this boat 6 weeks ago.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:16 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Meshikinquah
Where in the heck did you find your used engine package. Too bad that your 502 mpi mags sold so fast, you could have just installed the full roller parts, intake and carb and been ready to roll with basically HP 500’s. Hopefully you will find something soon. If I did not go with the CMI exhaust I would go with the KE type like gil wet offshore exhaust. Hope your luck changes for the better soon…..
Meshikinquah, you are confusing me with someone else. I haven't replaced my motors; I just bought this boat 6 weeks ago...
Old 07-17-2013, 06:34 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by JRider
If they are from cmi and not merc/cmi....good to go
They are CMI Gen-X headers that I'm buying from Teague. The port headers are standard swept back, but the starboard headers are custom big tubes because of the reverse stagger and will take several weeks to make. We think the starboard headers can be welded, so those will go back on while the others are being made so I can get back in the water. The new headers also do not have the bypass hoses that the old ones have and that Merc has issued a service bulletin to remove because the headers weren't getting enough water and not being cooled enough. That contributed to the cracking issues. I also installed freshwater flushes about two weeks ago and will be adding a better draining system to the new headers to make it easier to drain them after running the boat.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:37 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 74 Likes on 24 Posts

Lil Red is spot on. Heat cycles are what kills the headers. I got 260 hours out of my orig CMI's.Replaced them last year before I ever had a problem.Just felt it was the smart thing to do. Went with Gen X from CMI and have been perfect. Take a minute and contact Chris Morth at CMI [email protected]. Get a quick education on header maintenance and flushing procedure. Great guy and very helpful. Sold both sets of my old headers to members here without issue. just my 2 cents. Jeff
Old 07-18-2013, 04:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW,
HyFive578 I am sorry I was wrong. I was reading another post with almost the same problem but it was not a 525 (stuck valve post). I would be talking with guy you bought the boat from. I agree with FIXX this engine problem had to be showing signs with that much damage.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:43 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

What are proper header flushing and maintenance procedures...How much more can there be?
Old 07-18-2013, 10:00 PM
Registered

If I'm not mistaken, Dana Marine sells an adapter bracket for the 525. You could then put on ANY BBC header you wanted.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:20 PM
Registered

Another CMI disappointment here. This is the second time that both my headers are cracked at the collector on my 05 525 package. They had approx. 200 hrs the first time and they were welded and lasted about 85 hrs. Not so sure that they can be welded this time. Still can't believe that merc and cmi don't step up and offer restitution in a joint effort. I realize that cmi gave merc what they asked for, but they should have denied the spec and said no. As far as I am concerned, they are both to blame. The fact that they have changed the spec, in my opinion is an admission of fault. Just my 02 for what it's worth.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:58 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by raytart
Another CMI disappointment here. This is the second time that both my headers are cracked at the collector on my 05 525 package. They had approx. 200 hrs the first time and they were welded and lasted about 85 hrs. Not so sure that they can be welded this time. Still can't believe that merc and cmi don't step up and offer restitution in a joint effort. I realize that cmi gave merc what they asked for, but they should have denied the spec and said no. As far as I am concerned, they are both to blame. The fact that they have changed the spec, in my opinion is an admission of fault. Just my 02 for what it's worth.
Raytart,

I have a set of 525 headers that were welded and pressure tested sitting in my garage in case you're interested. PM me if so.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:38 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by neva satisfied
What are proper header flushing and maintenance procedures...How much more can there be?

I'd like to know the same?!?!?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.