BBC circulating pump >

BBC circulating pump

Notices

BBC circulating pump

Old 07-13-2013, 03:53 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default BBC circulating pump

Does any one know an automotive part number for a bbc circulating pump for a surpentien belt setup?
The surps run the opposite of the v belt setups so the vanes in the pump have to be the opposite. I also know that an automotive pump will not be as good as a marine pump and will contain some different parts but this would get me by for the weekend. Thanks for any help
Old 07-19-2013, 08:56 AM
Registered

No body
Old 07-19-2013, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't help with the P/N, but if your engine is closed cooling the auto pump will work just fine. After all it works in your car.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll probably catch some flak for this, but the auto pump will work fine in fresh water. Yes, the vanes will probably eventually corrode, but in a Bravo application with the external seawater pump, they are pretty much along for the ride anyway. I actually ran an auto pump on mine for many years. Eventually, at about year six, the vanes were pretty much gone, but the engine was not running any hotter than it did before. I just popped another $40 pump on there and went on with my business.

Don't know a part number, but it is the same pump as was used on the early big blocks in Chevelles and Camaros - I'm pretty sure. It is the short pump, versus the long pump that was used in trucks and later model cars.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:15 PM
Registered

with the serpentine belt the pump may turn backwards, you would need a uni-directional one or one designed to turn with your setup...