Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Chasing a 300-400 RPM drop issue in Port motor!! >

Chasing a 300-400 RPM drop issue in Port motor!!

Notices

Chasing a 300-400 RPM drop issue in Port motor!!

Old 07-31-2013, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No they have not. Since I bought it that motor has been down on rpms and overall pulling power. Hard to hear the slight miss with having both motors and the stellings exhaust (semi dry) but if you try to just load that motor you can hear the breakup. Other motor has been doing a lot of the work pulling this one along. Have dyno sheets showing what they made but the boat sat for over a year before I bought it. Motors have about 75 hrs on them. Only about 125 hrs on the boat itself. Both motors sound very smooth on the hose, especially for solid rollers. Comp check great. Thought bad fuel in that tank or ignition tune up needed on that motor originally. Well, its now beyond that but trying to stay optimistic it will get it figured out. If I had to guess I'd say its 150-200hp down (Hard to say for sure but if I had to put a number on it....)

Last edited by Eliminated572; 07-31-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Like mr gadgets said verify 12v to the msd box and a good ground. If compression was all good I don't see a need to pull it yet.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

in the first post you said you adjusted the valves to .024,are you sure you dont have a tight one and is it popping through the carb?
Old 07-31-2013, 09:53 AM
Registered

Adjustments are good. Valvetrain wasn't noisy on that motor when I ran them just did them so I knew they were right as a baseline. I found most at .026. Builder said to run them at .024-.027 cold. Runs the same now as it did before I ran them. I did find a broken adjuster on the starboard motor. Sheared off the adjuster right below the lock nut. The threads in the rocker were a little buggered up so I called T&D and got another rocker and also a spare. Again, this was on the starboard motor and not the port. Although I did see 2 replacement rockers on the port if I remember right (Easy to spot as T&D went from blue rockers to silver a few year back) but all were very close to .026 before I ran them
Old 07-31-2013, 10:01 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

verify your timing is not retarding at high rpms. I know its locked but this is to check if the cam can walk to much forward and back or if the dist gear has to much play and can climb the cam gear.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by kvogt
verify your timing is not retarding at high rpms. I know its locked but this is to check if the cam can walk to much forward and back or if the dist gear has to much play and can climb the cam gear.
It will be on the hose tonight but I will throw a light back on it and do some short revs to see if it jumps at all. I'll report back tonight on that aswell. Thanks
Old 07-31-2013, 02:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This doesn't address the miss, but have you taken the props to a shop and make sure they are dialed in the same? Perhaps port one was damaged at some point and repaired and its not pitched exactly the same as the starboard.

Everything would be the same until you started throttling up.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by anewway
This doesn't address the miss, but have you taken the props to a shop and make sure they are dialed in the same? Perhaps port one was damaged at some point and repaired and its not pitched exactly the same as the starboard.

Everything would be the same until you started throttling up.
I have another set of hydro 5 blades but didn't bother to try them because of the miss. You can tell its a motor issue from the sound, pull, and even looking at the shorter/lower velocity roost on that motor.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:06 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Another thing to look at would be the color and intensity of the spark. I know you swapped boxes and coils, but it could be something outside the box. I was told if the spark is yellow it indicates the box is going south. So if there is a weak link in the ignition (not the box or coil) a spark that is not fat and blue could tell you something. I just picked up a spark testor at O'rielys for a few bucks that is adjustable. It is a Lisle tool, you could use it to see if it jumps a small or large gap and how it reacts as compared to the other motor.. It may tell you something??

What distributor are you using? Might want to swap those to see if it moves...

About the spider in the fuel line, I had an outboard with a fly wing stuck to a jet one time.. Took for ever to find it, you couldn't see it. Motor was under warranty so I let the experts work on it. Took most of the summer to find that one, so much for the experts..
A fuel line could be collapsing the inner part of the hose and restricting flow, but it doesn't sound like a lean condition..

Keep at it, it will jump at you when you find it.
Dick
Old 07-31-2013, 08:04 PM
Registered

Well here's what I tested tonight.
Voltage incoming to msd box is 12v with key on and 14.4 at idle.
Took apart carb. Everything looks very clean. Sprayed carb cleaner thru it anyway. Jets are 88 front and back with 6.5 power valves pri and sec. Checked other carb is setup same. Swapped them over.
Thru timing light on both motors. 32 degrees at all rpm even when stabbing throttle quickly didn't budge. Both motors same.
The port motor has a stumble on some of the stabs from idle opening secondaries quickly and back. Starboard motor couldnt get any stumble. Idle and off idle port seems a little rougher but not horrible yet doesn't seem as smooth as starboard.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.