Notices

Flywheel help needed

Old 08-06-2013, 07:57 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Flywheel help needed

I have a Gen VI big block that was not originally intended for a Mercruiser application and the ring gear on the flywheel is mounted toward the front of the flywheel- I assume for a front mounted starter. I'm now using it with a bellhousing that has a rear mounted starter. I guess this is going to be a problem ? Will a rear mounted starter engage properly with a ring gear mounted towards the front of the flywheel? I believe this was original intended to be used in a Volvo powered boat if that helps. Thanks
Old 08-06-2013, 08:04 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you have 2 choices take the current flywheel to a machine shop and have the the opposite side cut for a ring if it isnt already ,then swap the ring gear to the other side .or i have 1 for sale in the swap shop gen 6 setup for a bellhousing type starter
Old 08-06-2013, 10:09 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'll need two of them. I have to figure out if it'd be cheaper to buy new ones and have them balanced or pay the labor to have the gear moved.