Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
sea water pump V belt replacement at Auto Parts store? >

sea water pump V belt replacement at Auto Parts store?

Notices

sea water pump V belt replacement at Auto Parts store?

Old 08-08-2013, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sea water pump V belt replacement at Auto Parts store?

I have a Mercruiser 7.4 BBC, 96 vintage. I would like to replace the combo sea water pump/fuel pump V belt. Is this belt a Mercruiser specific belt or is there a commonly available V belt from my local auto parts store? I'm trying to get this installed tonight and my local boat dealer is closed already. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:37 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Take yours with you. Have the vee width and length matched up. Go boating
Old 08-08-2013, 09:00 PM
Registered

Looks like it's a 40" length belt. Auto parts store only has that length belt with teeth. The belt that is only engine right now is smooth on the inside. Does the smooth belt grip better on the pulley or does it not matter whatsoever?
Old 08-08-2013, 09:07 PM
Registered

Just to confirm what I'm seeing....does the PS pump belt have to come off in order to replace the sea water pump belt? Thank you in advance.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:08 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Alternator belt: 15480
Power steering belt: 15560
Sea Pump belt: 15400

Here's what I have on mine, these P/N's you can go anywhere and find, like Autozone, NAPA ......

The power steering belt has to come off first at least on mine it does. Because the first belt on the crank shaft pulley should be Power Steering, next is Sea Water Pump and finally the inner belt is the alternator. Hope this helps. With the P/N's above the belts are so cheap compared to Mercruiser belts I bought 2 ea. and keep one set for spares.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:43 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info and confirming what I thought it would take. The new belt is in already. Mine took a 15400 on the sea water pump as well. This belt has teeth whereas the old belt was smooth(no teeth), and the smooth belt was put on at a Mercruiser dealer. That is why I asked earlier if it had to have the smooth belt. I guess I'll find out.....
Old 08-09-2013, 01:43 AM
Registered

Good info

Originally Posted by CAPTAIN JACK
Alternator belt: 15480
Power steering belt: 15560
Sea Pump belt: 15400

Here's what I have on mine, these P/N's you can go anywhere and find, like Autozone, NAPA ......

The power steering belt has to come off first at least on mine it does. Because the first belt on the crank shaft pulley should be Power Steering, next is Sea Water Pump and finally the inner belt is the alternator. Hope this helps. With the P/N's above the belts are so cheap compared to Mercruiser belts I bought 2 ea. and keep one set for spares.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:33 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just an FYI although I have run that belt on my seawater/fuel pumps it usually doesn't last as long, and tends to slip a lot more than the Merc one. That and Merc made it an oddball size so the ones from the parts store are either a touch long or short. Not saying they can't be run, did it for a while but since I switched back to Merc have had better luck.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:43 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dumbguy123
Thanks for the info and confirming what I thought it would take. The new belt is in already. Mine took a 15400 on the sea water pump as well. This belt has teeth whereas the old belt was smooth(no teeth), and the smooth belt was put on at a Mercruiser dealer. That is why I asked earlier if it had to have the smooth belt. I guess I'll find out.....
that new sea water pump is going to crack at single tooth .it happens because of the tensioner being on the back side .if at all poss try and find the smooth belt although its hard to find
Old 08-09-2013, 06:05 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Tractor Supply has kevlar belts in many different sizes for $13.99

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.