Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
whats truly needed to swap an ls engine >

whats truly needed to swap an ls engine

Notices

whats truly needed to swap an ls engine

Old 12-23-2013, 04:13 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I go this route I will be doing strokers so internals will be new. Not sure yet about how much stroke 4 or 4.1 but worried 4.1 might cause issues with short piston and some wobble due to BDC coming out of the bore. Probably do LS3 or L92 heads, custom cam. Not sure yet on carb vs EFI, if stock EFI would work with reprogram I would do it but buying new intakes would be a bit pricey. Maybe a Victor intake and carb to simplify things. Still way ahead buying a complete engine either way to get all the accessories etc.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just watch the compression ratios. The stock injectors are damn near maxed out in stock motors. The injectors are the only weak point on the ls engines. Carb set up is easy but get the msd box seperate not in the edelbrock kit. The msd is programable where the one in the eddelbrock kit only has plug in chips. And oddly its cheaper to buy them seperate??? I can't figure that out...lol. yes the used engine is the best way to go for parts wise. Unless you're building 2k plus hp then a stock block will be fine. The lsx block is awesome for boost due to six head bolts vs 4 around each cylinder.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:42 PM
Registered

Will those engine mount adapters allow direct bolt up to offshore style mounts and do you have a link for them?
Old 12-23-2013, 05:51 PM
Registered

The ones I've seen bolt up to mine off of my scarab. They convert from the ls 4 bolt to the old sbc or bbc 3 bolt. Then you just use the mounts you had on you previous engine. Hmm not letting me copy a link?? Google ls engine mount. They come up with tons of them. Holley dirty dingo. All kinds you can move the motor forward up to 3 inches or keep it in stock location.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts

ezstriper, sdg0080, hotjava66,

Thanks for the feedback, but I'm realizing quick this won't be easy!...........(my) limited budget + (my) limited engine knowledge = finding somethin in the swap shop
Old 12-24-2013, 12:20 AM
Registered

The exhaust is a big part of the budget. Haxby speed has new take offs you can buy. Yeah its not super cheap but in the end it is worth it... well for some of us...lol. the stock lq4 puts out around 335hp. The stock cam will work fine. I just want some more grunt out of it...lol.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:32 AM
Registered

Do you have a link or other info on the crank driven water pump? How does price compare to Hardins piece that goes on the a/c bracket?
Old 12-24-2013, 08:31 AM
Registered

Price isn't even half of the harden one. That harden is 800 the crank driven is around 250. The link is a few pages back ill see if I can find it and repost it.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:36 AM
Registered

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 12-24-2013, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by ezstriper
the early 2000's 6.0 iron block from trucks are about the best to start with, even stock will make great power, all marine parts available now...
I would imagine picking the perfect "donor" would be critical ...what are the signs to look for when separating a junk block from a good 'donor" block? .....and after your out of the machine
shop with honing the bores and what not, are you any better off than buying a block from say.....Summit , Dart???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.