Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
whats truly needed to swap an ls engine >

whats truly needed to swap an ls engine

Notices

whats truly needed to swap an ls engine

Old 10-07-2014, 07:23 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a little update on what I am doing. With that LS1 being junk, I kept Looking and pretty much hit a goldmine. I bought a pretty well built 6.2L LS3. It's the stock aluminum block, stock crank (for now), Oliver H-beam rods and Mahle forged flat tops. It also came with a set of PRC cathedral port heads that have an awesome cnc port job on them. The motor had a billet oil pump in it that some how cracked and a small piece of it got stuck in a rod bearing causing it to spin the bearing. This is all after only 2000 miles of run time. It scarred up the journal on the crank. I'm going to see if it can be turned down, but if not I'll just replace it with a Callies or Eagle crank. I got all this for $2000, and it was even delivered to me!! With the higher compression of the 6.2, I have decided to run the motor N/A instead of using the Procharger. But I really don't think my hp target of 550-600 will be hard to obtain with this motor natural. I have everything apart and going to the machine shop this weekend to be checked and re-assembled. Then I will be calling Bob Madera for a cam and go from there. I already talked to Lightning and they are going to build me a set of dry to the tip headers for the motor, so I should be able to go a little more radical with the cam. I have also decided to carb the motor, just to keep it simple and cost effective. I can't wait to see what this is going to do in my boat next year!!! A lot more horsepower than my stock 454 and drop 400lbs+ out of the transom. Should sound pretty bad ass too!!
Old 10-07-2014, 02:22 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well damn, someone's throwin you a bone!

Nice find and pick up
Old 10-07-2014, 02:25 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Run a stock polished crank and stock OEM oil pump..

John jr
Old 10-09-2014, 11:47 PM
Banned

+1 an aftermarket forged crank would be a waste at this power level for a LS platform. Thing will take 550 all day long if you can make that kind of power.

IMO you should ditch the carb, but if done right it works. Just not as sweet as EFI. Hurts the old bank account a lot less Will be cool to see this thing run.

Last edited by Borgie; 10-09-2014 at 11:50 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:02 AM
Registered

Thanks for the input guys. I'm heading over to the machine shop on Monday to have the everything checked and see if the crank can be turned. I just figured if I had to buy a new crank, why not spend the extra $200 and get one thats forged. Plus, I will only be sticking with the 550-600hp range until I get a new outdrive. Then the motor will get pulled, I'll lower the compression, and my Procharger will go on it. So, if I have to buy a new one, might as well buy a good one now.

As far as the carb goes, its just so much simpler. Plus the best efi intake for the low end and mid range grunt I'm going to need is a truck intake and that thing is just really damn ugly. If I go EFI in the future, I'll most likely go with a victor style EFI intake with a carb style throttle body. Again, just to keep it simple and attractive under the hatch.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like a good plan. Thanks for keeping us updated on your project and look forward to some pics. Good luck.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:16 AM
Banned

Gimme fuel turned me onto these awesome intakes. Just bought one last week along with a FAST billet 92mm throttle body. Looks about 100 times better than a traditional single plane, and flows more. I switched due to clearance issues on my Rage. Keep it looking like an LS. Only thing on the LS model is verifying the hatch clearance, as its taller than the other pro Flo xt intakes for Small and Big Block Chevrolets.

A big bonus is the pro Flo xt will make a ProCharger system very straight forward plumbing wise as the throttle body is in about the same location as a factory LS setup(with exception of height). And a tunnel ram design is about the best intake design you can run on a marine Performace engine, so it's a no brainer.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...o-flo-xt.shtml

Last edited by Borgie; 10-10-2014 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Borgie
Gimme fuel turned me onto these awesome intakes. Just bought one last week along with a FAST billet 92mm throttle body. Looks about 100 times better than a traditional single plane, and flows more. I switched due to clearance issues on my Rage. Keep it looking like an LS. Only thing on the LS model is verifying the hatch clearance, as its taller than the other pro Flo xt intakes for Small and Big Block Chevrolets.

A big bonus is the pro Flo xt will make a ProCharger system very straight forward plumbing wise as the throttle body is in about the same location as a factory LS setup(with exception of height). And a tunnel ram design is about the best intake design you can run on a marine Performace engine, so it's a no brainer.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...o-flo-xt.shtml

Ron (gimme fuel) is one of my buddies, and believe me, there has been a lot of talk about LS intakes the last few days!!! But that is for another project.

Good thing is, in my Convincor, hatch clearance isn't much of an issue. Right now I plan on running the Performer RPM carb intake for LS motors to keep the power in the RPM range I want (1500-6500). There is no doubt I could run the Victor Jr with a carb or TB injection with a hat for the Procharger and still have room under my hatch. Heck, when the time comes for boost, I'll probably just build a twin turbo set up for it.

Last edited by corey331; 10-10-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Yes, I have a completely crazy idea in my head right now for a 4.8L truck motor right now for a 18' hull I will be rebuilding next year. But that build is a ways down the road.

The Holley Hi-Ram is sexy as all get out too, with nice modular plenum options, but based on the dyno data I have seen using it, it gives up a lot of low end torque over the LS1/FAST style manifolds but gains a bunch of HP up top.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Gimme Fuel
Yes, I have a completely crazy idea in my head right now for a 4.8L truck motor right now for a 18' hull I will be rebuilding next year. But that build is a ways down the road.

The Holley Hi-Ram is sexy as all get out too, with nice modular plenum options, but based on the dyno data I have seen using it, it gives up a lot of low end torque over the LS1/FAST style manifolds but gains a bunch of HP up top.
The Holley Mid-rise picks up a bit of torque on the low end.

https://www.holley.com/products/inta.../parts/300-126

I'm working on some marine kits for the LS motors if anyone is interested. The will consist of exhaust, sea pump, accessory drive, flywheel, wiring harness bracket, and motor mount adapters.

Marine cam and Holley EFI packages also available.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.