Zinc Additive >

Zinc Additive

Notices

Zinc Additive

Old 08-25-2013, 03:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zinc Additive

Had a 327 redone and was told by the builder to add a zinc additive to the oil and run VR1,,,14 hours later the motor had a knock and every bearing in the motor is wiped out. My question is, the VR1 says extra zinc in formula and the additive looked like soft scrub when I poured in in. The mains were down to the brass and even the cam bearings are worn, could this have been "over zinked" ? The motor was never hot and oil pressure was 60 till the end. Thanx Don
Old 08-25-2013, 03:47 PM
Registered

Interested in the answers here.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:03 PM
mmb
Registered

Zinc didn't do it. Your engine builder did.... Take it to Fast Forward

Fyi I run Rotella T 15/40 because it has lots of zinc in it!!
Old 08-25-2013, 04:22 PM
Registered

monster have you had problems?? I stated it wrong, the machine shop did all machine work, I assembled I.have done dozens without any trouble till now. Could not find anything what so ever wrong. Just odd how every bearing is gone after only 14hrs, and yes plenty of assembly. lube.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by duck1
Had a 327 redone and was told by the builder to add a zinc additive to the oil and run VR1,,,14 hours later the motor had a knock and every bearing in the motor is wiped out. My question is, the VR1 says extra zinc in formula and the additive looked like soft scrub when I poured in in. The mains were down to the brass and even the cam bearings are worn, could this have been "over zinked" ? The motor was never hot and oil pressure was 60 till the end. Thanx Don
did you replace the crank?? if so then the micro finish on the crank was too rough and ate the bearings then the **** bearing material went through the cam bearings because the cam bearings are feed by the main bearings.. have the RA checked on the crankshaft..or if it was machined he used too rough of a stone..if thats the case take it to another machins shop and have it checked and get it in writing..about 6 yrs ago eagle has major issues with their final finish on their crankshafts and it caused premature bearing failure...we saw major problems when we had engines on the dyno..i would let the engine run and brake ion the cam then do a pull..after the first pull i would dropp the oil and look at it for metallic pieces in the oil..we ran across a dozen of bad cranks from eagle and a few from scat..then we switched to callies and the problem went away..

Last edited by FIXX; 08-25-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:32 PM
Registered

I know the crank was checked and I assume turned, I will have to find out...thanx for all the input
Old 08-26-2013, 03:31 AM
Registered

Your engine builder did
Old 08-26-2013, 06:03 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmb
Zinc didn't do it. Your engine builder did.... Take it to Fast Forward

Fyi I run Rotella T 15/40 because it has lots of zinc in it!!
I dont think Rotella has the zinc anymore...
Old 08-26-2013, 06:28 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FIXX
did you replace the crank?? if so then the micro finish on the crank was too rough and ate the bearings then the **** bearing material went through the cam bearings because the cam bearings are feed by the main bearings.. have the RA checked on the crankshaft..or if it was machined he used too rough of a stone..if thats the case take it to another machins shop and have it checked and get it in writing..about 6 yrs ago eagle has major issues with their final finish on their crankshafts and it caused premature bearing failure...we saw major problems when we had engines on the dyno..i would let the engine run and brake ion the cam then do a pull..after the first pull i would dropp the oil and look at it for metallic pieces in the oil..we ran across a dozen of bad cranks from eagle and a few from scat..then we switched to callies and the problem went away..
This needs to be a sticky. I wonder how many of those old cranks from Eagle or Scat might still be floating around in inventory?
Old 08-26-2013, 07:40 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by JRider
I dont think Rotella has the zinc anymore...
Thats what I was told also, I run nothing but Kendall 20w / 50 (has zink) of Joe Gibbs oil

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.