Water Temp sending unit?? >

Water Temp sending unit??

Notices

Water Temp sending unit??

Old 09-16-2013, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by lakematdude
Yes you could if you do use thread sealer all the time before it has a chance to go bad. But for a one off guy doing it himself at home for the first time/in a long time, most likely chances are he may not have it sitting around, and if he did, maybe he can't recall exactly where he set it last. So what do you do, go to the auto store and buy a new one for 5, 10 + dollars when all he has to do to make life a bit easier is buy the OEM sending unit or the one from Mallory would work that already has the better OEM red sealant applied to the threads and all he has to do is just install it and be done. Less chance of making a mess by not having to deal with sealant on your hands, upholstery, worry about if he's adding to much or to little sealant, etc.

The sending unit from Sierra does not show or have the sealant applied so you would need to buy some. So with that said, let's look at the list price only for this example as we all know just about everything online is typically on sale somewhere as long as you do your homework for best price.

Installing brass type fittings using the Mercruiser service manual basically says use either # 592 loctite pipe sealant with teflon on threads of brass fittings or plugs Or on certain mentioned fittings use quicksilver perfect seal. Do not use teflon tape.

Quicksilver perfect seal part number 92-34227Q02 MSRP $18.32

# 592 loctite pipe sealant with Teflon 50 mL Tube obtain locally,
Quantity Price 1-15 $18.57
16-86 $14.30
87+$13.28
http://www.ellsworth.com/henkel-loct...th-ptfe-50-ml/

The original poster (MnFastBoat) sender part number needed is 806490T.
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/partsByNumber.asp

Mercruiser sender MSRP is $26.42

Mallory sender MSRP is $22.49

Sierra sender MSRP is $23.99

Found in the link below both Mallory & Sierra can be seen, one with no sealant on the sierra while Mallory does have sealant,

http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Parts-Acc...n_id.630489171

So basically before uncle sam and shipping or gas to the store once again, there is a $3.93 difference between the three sender options before you realize (especially if you don't do this all the time) that to save 3.93 buying aftermarket I now need to go spend $5.00 + when I could have just bought the oem part and be done sooner not to mention supporting your local dealer that is there for you if or when needed.

Yes i'm aware there are cheaper options available out there and this example is not always the case, but if you're doing your home work before hand, you might as well find the easiest way of doing it as well if at all possible.

Now take in the trusted quality difference between Mallory & Sierra vs OEM. For a $3.93 difference to have a better chance to do it right the first time? count me in on that las vegas trip.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...tite-fail.html
dude,all this is fine&dandy,but il bet if you took a pole for twin engine boat owners most will have a tube of thread sealer or will need some sooner or later.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
dude,all this is fine&dandy,but il bet if you took a pole for twin engine boat owners most will have a tube of thread sealer or will need some sooner or later.
I own thread sealant just because I'm a guy...thought that was normal.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Heck - I use it almost daily.