Steering problem, Any advice? >

Steering problem, Any advice?

Notices

Steering problem, Any advice?

Old 08-05-2002, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering problem, Any advice?

As im sure you all know by now I got my tub out on the water for a test drive for about 15 minutes or so on Sunday

As I backed off the trailer I noticed that my steering was majorly tight.
I checked the fluid and topped off with PS fluid
No help
I went from side to side back to side to side to side to side
It turns but is VERY tight
Is there some adjustment or just grease the rod that slides in and out of the steering box on the transom?
Grease the cable from helm to transom?
I dont know what to do on this one, any suggestions would be helpful since I really could use some easy steering
Thanks
Jason
Old 08-05-2002, 12:45 PM
Registered

Dude.....Glad to see you got it running!!! I wasn't out on Sunday, but will be out Wed. after work.

Does your power steering fluid lines run through the oil cooler? are those lines hooked up right? Sounds like the fluid isn't getting back to the arms. Can you check (reach) back there for fluid?
Old 08-05-2002, 12:48 PM
Registered

yeah it runs through the coolers
I can reach the cooler although a pain but not impossible
does it matter which way the fluid goes through the cooler ?
or should it be either way ?
There is only one high pressure line that goes from pump to box, then out of box returns to cooler back side, then front side to return on pump
That is how I think it goes if I remember correctly.
Does it matter that i put power steering fluid in there instead of the trans fluid that was in there?
Jason
Old 08-05-2002, 01:20 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Your steering fluid should go the opposite direction of the water.

Jon
Old 08-05-2002, 03:35 PM
Allan4

YO J, glad it is coming together!!!!!!!

Did you have the caps off the steering cylinders?? I would pop them and bleed the system real quick by turning the wheel side to side a few times. YOu never know and it only takes about 30 seconds. Put a rags over the hole, that s*** will shoot all over.

Also, I assume, just like any other cable, that if it gets rusty/dry (no grease) it will not function right and eventially break. May want to think about that like you mentioned above. May be better to just replace it if you are certain that is the issue. Good luck humpo, hope you get it finished.

Old 08-05-2002, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Try the steering cables. Your system should have the standard Teleflex rack system with dual cables. Remove the cotter pin holding the end of the cable and unscrew the large retainer nut on each of the actuators. Thenk try to turn the steering wheel. If it's still stiff... replace the cable system and steering rack.
Did the same to my single engine Baja earlier this year, although after the dealer told me it was the actuator ($400), then the pump ($400). Steering was still stiff. Replaced the entire steering system from the helm to cable end myself in about 2 hours for $120. There's no servicible parts to the steering cable system. Replace only.
Good Luck!
Old 08-05-2002, 07:31 PM
Registered

Jayl13,
Was the steering this tight before you did the rebuilds? Could you have possibly kinked one of the cables?
Dan
Old 08-05-2002, 07:33 PM
Registered

Tight relative to what? If you are not used to a twin engine setup it will feel "heavy" at no wake speeds. How does it feel at WOT?

BT
Old 08-06-2002, 08:03 AM
Registered

well she has the standard power steering like a car does
When on my test drive I dont remember it being this tight
But the marina earlier in the year replaced the swivel shaft and gimbal ring on the starboard side so maybe I need to hit the grease nipple on the top of the transom assembly, also Ill get some PB breaker on the shaft that goes into the assembly and i am going to take off the steering cable that goes to the back and see if that is the problem or not.
I remember it being looser than this
when I tell you guys it is TIGHT I mean TIGHT
Imagine trying to turn the front wheels of an F350 with no power steering
There ya go
Im hangin on the wheel to get it to turn
like the PS pump is helping 0%
at some speed it is a little looser but still way too tight in my opinion
Ill have to pull that apart and see whats up
I did move the steering cable and put in the vent tubes for the blower motors behind it, I think ill move them to the front of it and let the cable sit against the side (moved it about an inch or two out from where it used to sit)
but hey all in all
SHE RUNS WOOHOO
Jason
Old 08-06-2002, 08:13 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok I thought about this last night and this is how I think you should tackle this problem. Before you move the cable around I would take the end of the cable off the drive and valve assembley and see if it moves free all on its own. With the engine off/not running. If that moves easy then jump outside the drive and move the drives side to side. DO they move easy? Hard? If hard take off the tie bars and move the drives individually. Did you take off the lines going to the valve body from the actually piston? There are two lines. If you reversed them when putting it back together then you can have VERY hard steering like you said or you can even have it turn uncontrolably from side to side. Taking the cable off the drive stuff is not hard and will help you quickly narrow the search for the proble. With the engines off you should be able to easily turn the wheel from side to side. Good luck and keep us posted.

Jon

Quick Reply: Steering problem, Any advice?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.