Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Captains Call Exhaust Issue (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/302662-captains-call-exhaust-issue.html)

geaux 09-07-2013 09:07 PM

Captains Call Exhaust Issue

Have an 04 Sunsation 288 with 496 Mag, and Captains Call Exhaust. It seems to be stuck in the quiet position (Switch Off). When I turn switch on, the light indicator on the switch illuminates, but nothing happens. Anyone have any idea how to troubleshoot the system? Is there a circuit breaker? Everything appears to be connected and tight. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Randy Nielsen 09-07-2013 09:36 PM

Look for a circuit breaker in the engine compartment that looks like the main breaker. I had the same problem with my Baja but thought the breaker was the main until I found the actual main breaker. If that makes any sense. Randy

geaux 09-08-2013 08:43 AM

Any idea where to look? Engine is 496 Mag. Thanks for the reply.

endeavor1 09-08-2013 08:55 AM

Look next to the risers of your exhaust. That is the general location they place them. Big red circuit breaker button

geaux 09-08-2013 05:35 PM

Found the button, tried it, and nothing. Still in the quiet position, and when switch is engaged (Light on when engaged), nothing happens. Any other ideas? Appreciate yours, and anyone else's, help. Can't be that complicated...

Cole2534 09-08-2013 07:55 PM

On mine it's a solenoid that closes a butterfly to divert the flow below the water line. So take your multimeter and verify you have the correct voltage at the solenoids, 12V if I were guessing but they should be labeled. If there's voltage then the solenoid is toast, if there's not then you have a wiring issue because you know you have voltage at the dash.

Also, check to see if they're hot. Over-loaded solenoids (like if they were stuck) like to get really hot. However, it'd be unlikely that both would be stuck (or fail) at the same time.

I'm betting on a loose wire.

endeavor1 09-08-2013 09:05 PM

I agree on a loose wire. Triple check your connections within the harness and the ground. I had issues there on a boat once. Wire pulled loose from connector and worked part time

geaux 09-09-2013 08:46 PM

Ok, had a minute to stop by boat this evening. Turned on ignition, turned switch to through hull position (Light illuminates and nothing happens), then manually pulled rockers to through hull position, and they stayed. Does this indicate anything? There is a wire that appears to go to the breaker/system, connected to the positive terminal on the battery, and it is fastened securely. Not sure to where to look for the ground?? Should there be a fixed plug going into the harness on both sides of the engine (One for each rocker), or is there one for both? Haven't found either but was looking in the dark. Again, thanks for everyones advice, and while I am not an expert, I can follow directions and willing to get dirty trying. Thanks!

07DominatorSS 09-09-2013 09:10 PM

Batteries are probably weak. I had the same problem. Have the batteries load tested. They may need to be replaced.

antisocial 09-10-2013 06:56 AM

Sounds like the solenoid has to much resistance in it and its not pulling it open