Captains Call Exhaust Issue >

Captains Call Exhaust Issue

Notices

Captains Call Exhaust Issue

Old 09-07-2013, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Captains Call Exhaust Issue

Have an 04 Sunsation 288 with 496 Mag, and Captains Call Exhaust. It seems to be stuck in the quiet position (Switch Off). When I turn switch on, the light indicator on the switch illuminates, but nothing happens. Anyone have any idea how to troubleshoot the system? Is there a circuit breaker? Everything appears to be connected and tight. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-07-2013, 09:36 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Look for a circuit breaker in the engine compartment that looks like the main breaker. I had the same problem with my Baja but thought the breaker was the main until I found the actual main breaker. If that makes any sense. Randy
Old 09-08-2013, 08:43 AM
Registered

Any idea where to look? Engine is 496 Mag. Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Look next to the risers of your exhaust. That is the general location they place them. Big red circuit breaker button
Old 09-08-2013, 05:35 PM
Registered

Found the button, tried it, and nothing. Still in the quiet position, and when switch is engaged (Light on when engaged), nothing happens. Any other ideas? Appreciate yours, and anyone else's, help. Can't be that complicated...
Old 09-08-2013, 07:55 PM
Registered

On mine it's a solenoid that closes a butterfly to divert the flow below the water line. So take your multimeter and verify you have the correct voltage at the solenoids, 12V if I were guessing but they should be labeled. If there's voltage then the solenoid is toast, if there's not then you have a wiring issue because you know you have voltage at the dash.

Also, check to see if they're hot. Over-loaded solenoids (like if they were stuck) like to get really hot. However, it'd be unlikely that both would be stuck (or fail) at the same time.

I'm betting on a loose wire.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

I agree on a loose wire. Triple check your connections within the harness and the ground. I had issues there on a boat once. Wire pulled loose from connector and worked part time
Old 09-09-2013, 08:46 PM
Registered

Ok, had a minute to stop by boat this evening. Turned on ignition, turned switch to through hull position (Light illuminates and nothing happens), then manually pulled rockers to through hull position, and they stayed. Does this indicate anything? There is a wire that appears to go to the breaker/system, connected to the positive terminal on the battery, and it is fastened securely. Not sure to where to look for the ground?? Should there be a fixed plug going into the harness on both sides of the engine (One for each rocker), or is there one for both? Haven't found either but was looking in the dark. Again, thanks for everyones advice, and while I am not an expert, I can follow directions and willing to get dirty trying. Thanks!
Old 09-09-2013, 09:10 PM
Registered

Batteries are probably weak. I had the same problem. Have the batteries load tested. They may need to be replaced.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:56 AM
Registered

Sounds like the solenoid has to much resistance in it and its not pulling it open

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.