Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Portable / dockside pumpout MI???????????? >

Portable / dockside pumpout MI????????????

Notices

Portable / dockside pumpout MI????????????

Old 09-11-2013, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

Motorhomes are gravity dumps - pull the gate valve and physics handles the rest...
Old 09-12-2013, 05:51 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
The shop vac thing is not as terrible as it sounds. As long as you have some treatment in the tank neutralizing bacteria and odor; you should be fine. Fill the tank with fresh water through flushing the head, and suck out the full tank. Then dump the shop vac out in the woods somewhere; and clean with fresh water and Lysol. I've done it a number of times with no issues. Just make sure you pull the dry filter out of the shop vac first.
I like the Lyson idea. Would Lysol leave it smelling better for the long winter months??
Old 09-13-2013, 02:05 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by verbi69
I like the Lyson idea. Would Lysol leave it smelling better for the long winter months??
I was referring to cleaning the vac with Lysol.

However, go to the camping section in Wal*Mart and get some of the porta-potty treatment. I buy this stuff that is bright orange, and thick like a syrup. It neutralizes the odors of the holding tank. Once I empty and flush the tank, I fill it back up with a little water, and the treatment, via pouring it in the bowl and flushing it. If you are not in the water to pull water sea-water in for the flush, just pour 1/2 of a bottled water in the toilet and flush with the treatment. Spray the bowl down after every use. You are not going to hurt anything.

I keep a can of Lysol in a locker in the head of the boat. I normally give a good blast throughout the whole bowl and entire head each day I'm on the water as preventative scent maintenance.