Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
454mag top end rebuild >

454mag top end rebuild

Notices

454mag top end rebuild

Old 04-25-2014, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so I'm thinking I rathe have a 90 degree over to the center stringer and the run the hoses forward to a y connector then one hose up to the pump. here's what I picked up this morning for the bottom of the pan.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]522572[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 454mag top end rebuild-fitting.jpg  
Old 04-25-2014, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 1,211 Likes on 582 Posts

Yes, that's what I was talking about. Secure the hoses and loctite in the pan.
My first engine had an issue priming the pump.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:29 PM
Registered

yea, priming may be a concern once it's a permanent fixture in the boat. at home on the bucket i just poured some oil into the hose before tightening it up on the dip stick. that little pump can really pull. sucked out brand new 20-50 cold oil through dipstick.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:37 PM
Registered

Fyi, the inside of the inlet and outlet port is 3/8" NPT so just pick puck 2 barbed fitting that are 3/8 NPT male. (didn't know if you knew that)

If anyone wants to know the pump we are referring to.
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt...ump-94639.html
Old 04-25-2014, 03:42 PM
Registered

Yea, the OD is 3/8 npt and OD is 3/4 garden hose. I used the garden hose side while at home. I will use the npt side for suction when mounted on boat probably.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:54 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

From the link above:

Compact and lightweight, this self-priming 12 V pump is ideal utility pumping around your home. Pumps water at up to 300 GPH (gallons per hour). Clips onto 12V battery terminals.
•Stainless steel pump housing
•Maximum flow: 300 GPH (gallons per hour)
•Total head lift: 35 ft.
•Dual threaded inlet and outlet:
•Includes mounting bracket

Not for use with fuel or flammable liquids.

How long do you think the seals will last when used with oil?
Old 04-25-2014, 03:57 PM
Registered

Not sure, but going to find out. when they die I'll open it up and see if I can replace. For the one/two oil changes per year I'll try it out.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dbkski
How long do you think the seals will last when used with oil?
It totally rebuildable. When I saw the blow up assembly it was not an issue in my eyes, I'll replace them with viton if need be.
Last page
http://manuals.harborfreight.com/man...4999/94639.pdf
Old 06-26-2014, 12:06 PM
Registered

Long time since an update. I'll keep this concise in bullet format:

- this is going off memory, will post specs/dyno later, both motors are right around 9.1 static compression with 598intake 610 exhaust on 114 LSA full hydro roller. I know we left a little on the table with the low compression but i don't want to have to worry about fuel issues.

- dynoed both motors. Stb pulled 508hp at 5400rpms. Port pulled 478hp at 5400rpms. The shop switched out distributor, carb, and fuel pump but still couldn't figure out why such a big difference. Also, the fuel curve jumps around a bit so we deemed it a possible casting issue disrupting air flow in the new heads. After many pulls we decided to not take apart and leave as is.

- Took me a while to get everything installed, about two weekends were taken up just by aligning the starboard side. finally got everything in though.

Last weekend finally ready to go to the lake I fire them up and set timing and idle on saturday and rechecked sunday morning before hooking up. So, as of last weekend I wasn't familiar with carbs. With that said, while checking timing and idle I did notice a lot of fuel being dumped into the carbs but everything seemed ok so I proceeded to lake. Got out of wake zone and got up to 3400rpms for about 30sec then felt a stumble then port died then stb died. Not restart and got towed in by a 24 ft nordic that just so happened to swing by. once in marina the stb managed to start but sounded like **** and a lot of black smoke so now it started to hit me that all that fuel being dumped at idle meant something was wrong. limped back to trailer and went home and called it quits for the day.

- Monday on the phone with the machine shop he walked me through taking the holleys apart and cleaning them out and setting floats again and all that. I got stb back together and when back on motor I saw a little fuel coming from the inner most primary booster for a few seconds but then that stopped and the idel circuit was good to go finally. I will get the port side the same and round 2 this weekend. I'm much more confident now though after taking the carbs completely apart. I'm waiting on some new orings for the seats and one brown secondary cam gear to complete the carb situation.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you drain your fuel tanks and put in fresh fuel before you took it out? What about rubber fuel lines, filters, etc.? Since they started adding ethanol to ALL gasoline, a lot of boats are having issues with fuel delivery components breaking down from the ethanol. Might be the source of your carb troubles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.