Engine Room Cameras >

Engine Room Cameras

Notices

Engine Room Cameras

Old 10-19-2013, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Engine Room Cameras

Does anyone have any cameras set up in the engine bay of you boats? Thinking about installing a few wired to the Garmins in the Donzi for peace of mind while running. Obviously we do a thorough pre check before starting and again before planning but it would be nice to be able to view cameras every once in a while to make sure all is ok. Would be nice not having to break plane and shut down. I bought some of these awhile back and thinking about getting a switch since the 5208 only has 2 inputs as I would like 3-4 cameras

[ATTACH=CONFIG]510281[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Engine Room Cameras-image.jpg  
Old 10-19-2013, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

The 53 carver I work on has engine room cameras. I use them to check on things while doing long runs. I doubt though that you will catch anything on the camera before seeing a gauge go.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

I agree but last Saturday this happened to us. The part in the yellow circle was not aligned properly and apparently had been rubbing the supercharger belt for 45 min and shredded the belt. No gauge caught this problem obviously, the smell of burnt rubber finally became apparent enough to shut down and open the hatch. Fortunately we carry an abundance of spare parts with us including belts so in 5 min after replacing the belt and adjusting the piece to not rub, we were back on our way. Would have been nice to had a camera cycling back and forth to see this early on. One time we also had a leaking secondary fuel filter housing. We caught this while idling out doing a pre check before taking off or it could have been bad. It's more for piece of mind and cool factor than anything else but could potentially see problems before they cause more issues.[ATTACH=CONFIG]510303[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Engine Room Cameras-image.jpg  
Old 10-20-2013, 09:55 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

I've set up my snake camera with detachable monitor to watch fan belts and such on a newly built motor but like said unless you have a big engine room with a good light source not much chance they will help except for watching replays and having cool pictures if something goes wrong.