Notices

502 heads

Old 11-10-2013, 09:55 PM
Tib
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 502 heads

Looking for some ideas on what to replace the stock 502 MPI heads with in a 27' Baja? The current heads have issues with pitted valve guides and would like to upgrade. I would like to keep from having to upgrade the ECM and to stay with iron heads. Any ideas would be great.....
Old 11-10-2013, 11:07 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Going with a better flowing head will require ECM tuning. If you go that route a cam upgrade would be wise to take advantage of the increased air flow, combined with a exhaust upgrade would make a even better combination. In that case Dart makes a nice iron head, World products Merlin heads are a good head at a nice price but they don't flow all that great and also allot of people are saying good things about RHS heads. If you really don't want to get that involved reconditioning your stock heads or new GM castings is probably the way to go
Old 11-11-2013, 09:20 AM
Tib
Registered

The stock heads were not maintenance well by the previous owner after a run. 90% of the boating in my area is in salt water and when you don't flush the motor after the runs, bad things happen... One exhaust valve guide has already rotted through letting excessive water into the cylinder costing me a block. I lucked out and was able to replace the guide without busting the casting. Figure the other guides are not far behind. Rather replace the heads and know I have eliminated the issue. Hopeing Dart or Merlin have a "replacement" style head that will work? I know valve train will have to be upgraded also.... Not looking for performance, just peace of mind...
Old 11-11-2013, 11:57 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

If you change to any heads that are not stock GM rect ports, you will need to have the ECM retuned.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:29 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
If you change to any heads that are not stock GM rect ports, you will need to have the ECM retuned.
+1 ...... But don't think that by sticking with GM you are somehow sacrificing quality. GM has the best casting ability, machining equipment and tooling money can buy. Dart, World Products or any other aftermarket head just offers more options than GM does. If your completely against remapping the ECM stock GM is the only option.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:43 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

You will also lose the non adjustable valvetrain if you go with an aftermarket head. That's a good thing, however, it will cost you a little more. You can get rid of the stock stamped steel rockers and use an aluminum roller rocker arm. You could also do this with the stock head if you wish. I have a few sets of 088 heads if you are interested. I have them with both the 2.19 intake and the 2.25 intake valves. The 454/502 Mag uses a 2.19 intake valve and the 500 efi, 500 hp, 575 SCI, etc, used the 2.250.
Eddie
Old 11-13-2013, 01:20 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have a set of 088 heads also that need gone through if interested. Randy
Old 11-13-2013, 11:25 AM
Tib
Registered

Default 502 heads

Thanks for the help guys. I found a local guy who said he could rebuild the heads with new guides and seats. I was told there was a risk of busting the casting while removing old valve guides, which is why I was looking at aftermarket. This company said they can rework the heads and guarantee the work. I do plan to replace the non-adjustable roller rockers before the top end is put back on and possibly upgrade the ECM program? Again thanks for the help...
Old 11-13-2013, 03:58 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

If the heads been neglected and run in salt, I'd strongly recommend new or good used freshwater castings