Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
305 SBC upgrades >

305 SBC upgrades

Notices

305 SBC upgrades

Old 11-15-2013, 06:48 AM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Here is a link for a brand new engine.

http://www.1800runsnew.com/newbase-details-NLM.html

One also posted in Swamp Shop yesterday. This is a good deal.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...lock-sale.html

Last edited by 1BIGJIM; 11-15-2013 at 07:01 AM.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Baretta
What do you guys think of one of these? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercruiser-V...dc88b2&vxp=mtr
I would be afraid ! One of my friends; across the street uses the Jasper Marine Re-mans, with out any issues and they have a 18 ,month warranty. $2800.00 with new sheet metal. I just don't know; what the core requirement is for a 305 to a 350.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:02 AM
Registered

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by MER Performance
I would be afraid ! One of my friends; across the street uses the Jasper Marine Re-mans, with out any issues and they have a 18 ,month warranty. $2800.00 with new sheet metal. I just don't know; what the core requirement is for a 305 to a 350.
I agree. Stay away from the Ebay remans unless they are from a reputable engine builder. I broke a GM forged crank in a 355 solid roller engine years back and replaced the shortblock with a Jasper Marine shortblock to get back on the water in mid July. It was a .060 over 2 bolt 010 block with stock rods, pistons, crank etc.. It was assembled correctly and I put 367 hrs on it spinning different combos from 5200-5800 Rpms. It currently is a spare in the garage.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:19 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by smokin' gun
I have a healthy complete drop in small block w 40 hrs on it $2000 alum intake
Crane cam roller rockers dart heads forged pistons. Stainless marine manifolds Ect
When you say drop in, how complete.. How much HP..

Chris
Old 11-16-2013, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a single prop drive. I'm condering upgrading to a dp I hear the handling is a night n day difference.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:59 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Do yourself a favor..... Enjoy the boat for what it is. If you really want to gain speed or handling which you have indicated, save yourself the frustration and buy a boat that has your desired level of each. You will be money and stress ahead in the end. This is fact.

Good luck
Old 11-18-2013, 12:11 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by endeavor1
Do yourself a favor..... Enjoy the boat for what it is. If you really want to gain speed or handling which you have indicated, save yourself the frustration and buy a boat that has your desired level of each. You will be money and stress ahead in the end. This is fact.

Good luck
Good advice here, and words which I would say a lot of us on here wish we had heeded. Remember, go for as much hull length as you can afford too - leads to a much smoother ride in general, but a lot of that depends on what kind of boating you do on what kind of water conditions.

Lots of good deals out there on used boats, and the value of our older boats is not keeping pace enough to justify spending a lot of money on engine mods - unless that is just your kind of thing. Just good to know that going into it. You will not likely get much if any of the money you invest back when it is time to sell.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Lots of good deals out there on used boats, and the value of our older boats is not keeping pace enough to justify spending a lot of money on engine mods - unless that is just your kind of thing. Just good to know that going into it. You will not likely get much if any of the money you invest back when it is time to sell.[/QUOTE]

all the more reason to get a diff engine to play with. throw the 305 beck in it when you realize it ain't gonna go faster enough. find something faster with a bad engine...
Old 11-18-2013, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I was messing with the 350s in my Chris Craft Stinger the best mod I did was to replace the stock lo-rise intakes with a high rise Z-28 iron intakes. I picked up 400 r.p.m.s and a lot of torque.
If you are fresh water cooled or only operate in fresh water you might get away with an aluminum version of the same. It would probaby cut 25 pounds (each). I did make additional gains with heads, cams,
and roller rockers but it was a huge expense times two motors for about 5 m.p.h. gain. I also had to buy new props. Before I'd go to that expense again I would shop for a faster boat as others have
suggested. Good luck!