Trim Tab Speed >

Trim Tab Speed

Notices

Trim Tab Speed

Old 11-20-2013, 12:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trim Tab Speed

Guys I've searched many posts but haven't found this question/answer... '97 Baja Boss 302, dual ram Insta-Trim tabs. They work but are painfully slow. I haven't studied the wiring yet but I'm wondering if there is an "accelerating relay trick" possible such as with hatch actuators. It speeds up the actuator by reducing the voltage drop due to the long travel of power wires to and from the helm switch....REALLY WORKS! I'm trying to find out if a similar FIX exists for trim tabs. I realize they may already be wired this way but figured OSO experts will know! It sure would be nice to speed these puppies up!
Thanks for any help!

Dan
Old 11-20-2013, 01:29 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

my boat leveler tabs on my 25ol were slow as hell too. Only issue I had was when actuators started going out and changed them. Never heard speeding them up as they are hydraulic and not electric.

My k-planes work a lot better! later
Old 11-20-2013, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It is a shot in the dark, but does it have hydraulic jack oil (which I believe insta trim recommends) or ATF which Bennett recommends I believe. If you have 30 weight oil which I used to slow my k planes down I'm sure it would slow down the insta trim pump as well. Might be worth looking into. Also when I had Bennett tabs on my boat they were painfully slow (25 seconds full up to full down)
Old 11-20-2013, 03:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mickeymcclgn
It is a shot in the dark, but does it have hydraulic jack oil (which I believe insta trim recommends) or ATF which Bennett recommends I believe. If you have 30 weight oil which I used to slow my k planes down I'm sure it would slow down the insta trim pump as well. Might be worth looking into. Also when I had Bennett tabs on my boat they were painfully slow (25 seconds full up to full down)
That's where I am...25-30 seconds...seems like 25 MINUTES! Hydraulic jack oil is what I use. Thanks!
Old 11-20-2013, 03:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by nailit
my boat leveler tabs on my 25ol were slow as hell too. Only issue I had was when actuators started going out and changed them. Never heard speeding them up as they are hydraulic and not electric.

My k-planes work a lot better! later
True BUT the pumps ARE electric, so IF their power supply comes from the helm switch (like hatch actuator did) there could be a voltage drop that slows them down...maybe they aren't wired that way...gotta find out! I miss having the boat at home where I could work on it easily (has to be in storage here). If I can't make them better I'll either have to live with it or change to KP's. Thanks for the input!!! ..get your flame arrestors on?
Old 11-20-2013, 07:47 PM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Mercury uses solenoids for their trim and tab pumps no doubt to insure full voltage as you suggest. You can buy the mercury style ones for under $15 from a number of third party parts sellers. I would bet it helps somewhat but .... it's likely the pump may just be undersized for multiple rams. K-planes use one pump per ram.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:07 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you think the viscosity of the oil will help, get to a motorcycle shop and purchase some 5W fork oil (or 2.5W shock oil if you want a real light oil).

These oils are high grade hydraulic oils and will work just fine in the system if you are currently using 30W oil.

Ken
Old 11-21-2013, 08:45 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a K Plane very slow on one side. Turned out the motor armature where the brushes rode was corroded and all dark. Cleaned it up with some sandpaper and it speeded right up.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:40 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Instatrim(Boat Levelers are just slow by design. It's a small pump suppling hyd press to both sides. Make that 4 rams with the dual rams, now you are really working that small pump. You can add a 2nd pump so each side has it's own pump to double the speed. The pumps aren't to bad in price either