Water for intercooler >

Water for intercooler

Notices

Water for intercooler

Old 11-23-2013, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water for intercooler

Procharger M3SC with 504 intercooler. 540BBC shooting for 850 hp. IMCO shorty drive with low water pick up. Should I use the IMCO water for the motor and separate source for the intercooler?

Thanks for responses
Old 11-23-2013, 12:23 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Russ,
I use a transom pickup through a strainer, with a blow off valve. No cold water through it at idle, but when running it does the cooling. I have a larger intercooler and I was concerned that it might be too cold at an idle. At an idle is see 100* or more, at speed and 10 psi, I see 78* AIT.
Hope that helps.
Dick
Old 11-24-2013, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes
Thanks
Old 11-26-2013, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the std one for the engine they way procharger sets it up works fine for us...
Old 11-26-2013, 03:12 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mr. Gadgets if Im understanding correctly you use use a pressure dump but rather than dumping overboard it dumps through the intercooler? no pumps?
Old 11-26-2013, 07:16 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a transom pickup, plumbed into a strainer. The strainer is then plumbed through the intercooler and it dumps over board. The strainer has a blow off valve that dumps over board as well, just incase I get a pressure spike.
Dick
Old 11-26-2013, 10:27 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Procharger's are the only setup that I do feed water to all the time. There are a few reasons for that. First, they use an aluminum core. I was always afraid to shock the cooler with cold water after heat soaking at idle. I don't worry about Whipple's cupro-nickel cores, but the aluminum Procharger cores worry me. The other reason is that the intercooler is mounted a ways away from the intake. I just don't think that you will have an issue with cooling the intake charge to much. Not to mention, the fuel isn't in the air charge when it passes through the intercooler, so you don't have to worry about it coming out of suspension. With a Whipple, you have the fuel being introduced in the throttle body. The fuel is going through a very efficient intercooler, which is right on top of the intake. If you cool it to much, you can bring the fuel out of suspension.In that case, I will force feed the intercooler with a transom mounted pickup so that it only gets water once the boat is on plane.

In your case, I would feed the intercooler from the crossover just like Procharger does it. I would monitor the intake air temps to be sure that they don't get to high. If they do, you may have to come back and add a pickup. However, I would only add it if it's necessary.
Eddie
Old 11-26-2013, 11:04 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

What are you guys running for IAT temp gauges?
Old 11-26-2013, 11:15 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I just monitor it on my laptop as I'm tuning. I don't think I have ever seen anyone with an IAT gauge in the dash. That's not to say that you couldn't add one though.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:21 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
I just monitor it on my laptop as I'm tuning. I don't think I have ever seen anyone with an IAT gauge in the dash. That's not to say that you couldn't add one though.
My buddy just bought these, I might pick up a couple too and mount them on the dash...

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/Dual-...telink=LeftNav

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.