Loudest aftermarket manifolds/headers? >

Loudest aftermarket manifolds/headers?

Notices

Loudest aftermarket manifolds/headers?

Old 12-02-2013, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Im confused, you want a louder exhaust but want to retain the silent choice? lol

Theres a couple ways to increase the decibel level. Reducing the amount of water in the exhaust, or build some high compression, big cammed, ported head engines.

I have Stellings headers with full dry 4.5 inch tails. Thank god I have a swim platform, otherwise it would be almost impossible to talk while idling around. Have you considered keeping the 496 exhaust, having custom dry to the tip tails made, and then add clamp on switchable mufflers at the end? Many times its not the exhaust itself that hurts power, its the amount of water in the exhaust that does. The exhaust pipes when filled with large volumes of water, not only reduces noise, it also reduces the volume of the pipes that can carry the exhaust gases.
I also run the stallings 4.5" dry and love them! But I also have mufflers also. ;-) just in case DNR shows up.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I have Lightning tubular headers and mufflers, it's reasonable at idle, but it really sounds great getting on it especially if the prop breaks loose getting on plan. It lets everyone know to get out of the way. My Lightning headers are 15 years old, I had them fully checked last season and they are still like new. Best bang for the buck in my opinion.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:17 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Im confused, you want a louder exhaust but want to retain the silent choice? lol

Theres a couple ways to increase the decibel level. Reducing the amount of water in the exhaust, or build some high compression, big cammed, ported head engines.

I have Stellings headers with full dry 4.5 inch tails. Thank god I have a swim platform, otherwise it would be almost impossible to talk while idling around. Have you considered keeping the 496 exhaust, having custom dry to the tip tails made, and then add clamp on switchable mufflers at the end? Many times its not the exhaust itself that hurts power, its the amount of water in the exhaust that does. The exhaust pipes when filled with large volumes of water, not only reduces noise, it also reduces the volume of the pipes that can carry the exhaust gases.
+1. I run big cube N/A motors with 4.5 dry tails on a flat transom. It's an attention getter but is annoying after awhile. I do have clamp on mufflers, I just can't bring myself to put them back on though. Wife wants them on but I'm looking at turn downs also. If you want loud, dry tails is the way to go
Old 12-03-2013, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I run a stock 496 MAG HO and was wondering if simply swapping the stock manifolds for an aftermarket set would yield any noticeable sound difference. As I stated I have no intention of running dry tails or taking off the Corsa system. Was hoping to hear from someone with experience in regard to this setup who may have heard or done it themselves.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:11 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by MindBLOWER
Well I run a stock 496 MAG HO and was wondering if simply swapping the stock manifolds for an aftermarket set would yield any noticeable sound difference. As I stated I have no intention of running dry tails or taking off the Corsa system. Was hoping to hear from someone with experience in regard to this setup who may have heard or done it themselves.
Save your money then.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:12 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If you must keep the diverters, I would take some of the water and run it through dumps on the transom. Less water will make it louder. Think about what it sounds like when you first start it and no water has hit the exhaust yet. Be careful not to take away too much water and start melting hoses.