Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
converting from alpha to bravo, bravo questions. >

converting from alpha to bravo, bravo questions.

Notices

converting from alpha to bravo, bravo questions.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all! Not trying to jack the thread but I am doing this exact swap on my '87 Pachanga 22 and in need of a raw water bracket f& pulley for a Gen IV application if anyone has one.

Thanks
Old 12-18-2013, 02:54 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure there are more than 1 available in the swap shop. Also I know that there was one on the powerboat swap shop Facebook page just 3-4 days ago complete takeoff sea water pump bracket and pulley from a gen4. Good luck with your search. It is a very straightforward swap. Had mine done complete in a weekend which included R+R of engine, putting some resin and paint on the transom cutout to insure no water issues, and test ride on Sunday.

Last edited by mickeymcclgn; 12-18-2013 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 12-18-2013, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
The rams on my Gen II drives and the rams on my Bravo drives only share the black paint as common, otherwise 2 different animals
Early year alphas had to diff sets of rams 1 set was the same as bravo
Old 12-18-2013, 04:23 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
The Bravo and Alpha Gen II transom assemblies are the same for holes and cutout. And actually, they both use the same inner plate.
Nope beg to differ cutout by the steering arm has to be opened up
Alpha has to less bolt holes than bravo so the top 2 have to be drilled
Iinner plates are totally diff 2 top bolt holes are missing as well as the spot
For the water pickup on the bravo
Done many of these swaps
Old 12-18-2013, 08:02 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by smokin' gun
Nope beg to differ cutout by the steering arm has to be opened up
Alpha has to less bolt holes than bravo so the top 2 have to be drilled
Iinner plates are totally diff 2 top bolt holes are missing as well as the spot
For the water pickup on the bravo
Done many of these swaps
Gordon...thanks for injecting some fact into this thread.

My old "Early" Alpha rams were not even close to the Bravo's...in fact, I discovered that some of the mid '80's Alpha Rams don't have the length that the Bravo's do. I attached my thread to this one to share the things I went thru with my twin swap. One of the things I did that really helped me was going to a crank driven raw water pump and pulling suction thru the drives. Works great!!

Just in case some one gets to this from Google and has a pre 1980's boat....I ran up against a clearance issue on my '79 255 that required that I make the Port engine the Power Steering Master. There isn't enough room on the Starboard side of my boat to get a late Alpha or Bravo Steering ram cabled up and attach the inboard tiller. I attached the Ram to the Port side and ran a longer steering cable to it and attached a Drive "Tie Bar" to turn the Starboard drive. My external drive tie bar is "The Tie Bar" !! It all works out and the steering is effortless.

The only other issue that I had that I can share is that the old Morse Twin Stick Controls are not set up to operate the Bravo's in counter Rotation...they don't push/pull like a Kiekhiefer Zero Effort type control does. So...initially I had to run Port and Starboard drives Clockwise. I now have a Kiekhiefer I have yet to install which will correct this on the port drive and let me spin it CCW.

Upgrading to Bravo's was one of the best things i did to update this boat. The smoothness of shifting and the peace of mind that my 425 horse SBC's aren't going to break my drives makes it all worth while.

These are just a few things that I ran up against that you won't find in a book...hopefully some one will benefit.