NEW 502 blocks

Notices

NEW 502 blocks

Old 12-17-2013, 01:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gimme Fuel
I talked with Mike (MK Hammer) yesterday. Real nice guy and has built several motors from these blocks. He says they are cast by PBM/World and are of a better alloy than factory blocks. Cast in China and machined in USA (just like World blocks). Use all gen 6 hardware unlike the world blocks. Seems to be a good block. $1550 for just the block. Needs line hone/check, decks squated, and final hone to be ready to use. Im gonna check status of my block after the new year and maybe order one.

Here are some specifications; Notice USA made CASTING for both PBM/World, doesn't state for the aluminum blocks.

BLOCKS - PBM IRON
BBC COMPETITION BLOCKS

• USA made casting
• Dedicated main oiling
• 1045 Billet steel main caps
• ARP 1/2" main studs
• Four bolt main caps all locations
• Clearanced for 4.375"(9.800 DECK) / 4.750" (10.200" DECK) stroke
• Standard BBC cam bearing size

Torque specs:

Inner Mains 100 Ft Lbs
Frt & rear Outer Main s 100 Ft Lbs
Center Splayed Mains 100 Ft Lbs

BBC SPORTSMAN BLOCKS

• USA made casting
• Dedicated main oiling
• Nodular cast main caps
• ARP 1/2" main studs ( excluding ST blocks)
• Clearanced for 4.375"(9.800 DECK) / 4.750" (10.200" DECK) stroke
• Standard BBC cam bearing size

Torque specs:

Inner Mains 100 Ft Lbs
Frt & rear Outer Main s 100 Ft Lbs
Center Splayed Mains 100 Ft Lbs

SBF COMPETITION BLOCKS

• USA made casting
• Dedicated main oiling
• 1045 Billet steel main caps
• ARP 1/2" main studs
• Clearanced for 3.400"(8.200" DECK 302) / 4.125" (9.500" DECK 351) stroke
• Standard SBF cam bearing size
• Drilled for 6 bolts per cylinder head

Torque specs:
Inner Mains 100 Ft Lbs
Frt & Rear Outer Main s 45 Ft Lbs
Center Splayed Mains 70 Ft Lbs

MERLIN III - BB CHEVY Now in it’s generation, World’s continually upgraded MERLIN cast iron block is the perfect foundation for any big block Chevrolet engine assembly. Made of a high density iron and manufactured to QS-9000 specifications on just two fixtures to eliminate tolerance stacking common on production lines, the MERLIN III can be bored to a maximum of 4.625” and is clearanced for a 4.375” crank on a 9.800 Deck height and 4.750 on a 10.200 Deck height. With a reinforced bottom end featuring 4-bolt splayed main caps, the MERLIN III can handle serious horsepower with complete reliability. It’s an excellent all-around value too!

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Material: High Density Cast Iron
Deck Height: 9.800 or 10.200"
Deck Thickness: .600" minimum
Cam Bearings: Standard Chevrolet
Main Bearings: Standard Chevrolet
Camshaft Location: Stock
Lifter Bores: Indexed (stock .8437" bore)
Bore: 4.240 (hone to 4.250") or 4.490 (hone to 4.500")
Maximum Bore: 4.625"
Cylinder Wall Thickness: .250" at 4.600" bore
Water Jackets: Expanded for better cooling
Lubrication: Priority main oiling system
Filtration: Integral mount for spin-on filter
Oil Pan Rails: Solid (stock width)
Crank Clearance: 4.750" stroke crank (10.2) 3.75” stroke (9.8)
Main Caps: Nodular iron or billet steel
Fuel Pump: OEM mount
Starter: OEM mount
Motor Mounts: Dual (front and side)
Cylinder Head Bolt.StudHoles: Blind tapped to prevent leaks
Weight: Approximately 270 lbs.
n studs

BLOCKS-PBM ALUMINUM

PBM HAS DEVELOPED A STRONG AND AFFORDABLE ALUMINUM BLOCK. THE PBM ALUMINUM BLOCK IS IDEAL FOR RACING OR THE ULTIMATE STREET ROD.
•SIAMESED CYLINDERS
•TWO PIECE REAR MAIN SEAL
•IMPROVED WATER JACKETS
•FULLY SUPPORTED CYLINDERS
•PLUG KIT PROVIDED WITH BLOCK
•SUPERIOR MAIN WEBBING

SBC (350) RACE ALUM. BLOCKS

•Propriatary A356T7 Alum Casting
•Dedicated main oiling
•ARP main studs
•6 bolt rear main cap
•Full 1 inch deck thickness
Old 12-17-2013, 01:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The specifications are from PBMs site. It's a little hard to use; if not used to looking parts up.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I have the story on the blocks from PBM/ World. All the cast iron is done in Indiana, blocks machined in Ohio, most of the cast heads machined in NC. The Aluminum blocks cast in New Zealand. They do have a Gen 5, 6 block 1 piece rear seal, 4.495 bore . This block is cast in Indiana, also. Nothing that is cast comes from China, outside of your Scat, rods, cranks, things that you know are imported.
Let it be known that; Pro Comp makes a 502 block.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

To go along with MER, World Products was acquired by PBM/ERSON. They are owned by Engine Parts Warehouse, very good people to deal with! Most of the aluminum stuff is referred to BMP (Bill Mitchell Products) in NY. Also very good people to deal with. If it is in fact a PBM/World block it will be high quality USA made.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:37 PM
Registered

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by MER Performance
I have the story on the blocks from PBM/ World. All the cast iron is done in Indiana, blocks machined in Ohio, most of the cast heads machined in NC. The Aluminum blocks cast in New Zealand. They do have a Gen 5, 6 block 1 piece rear seal, 4.495 bore . This block is cast in Indiana, also. Nothing that is cast comes from China, outside of your Scat, rods, cranks, things that you know are imported.
Let it be known that; Pro Comp makes a 502 block.
Good to Know!
Old 12-19-2013, 06:22 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I asked my machinist about the PBM blocks. He said he's done a handful of them. The machining is better than when World owned. But they still need more attention than a Dart. Added machining costs gives you a little cheaper block than a Dart but he doesn't think it's worth it cause the Dart is a much superior piece. I paid $1800 for my Dart block last summer he normally sells them for $1900.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:36 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Black Baja
I asked my machinist about the PBM blocks. He said he's done a handful of them. The machining is better than when World owned. But they still need more attention than a Dart. Added machining costs gives you a little cheaper block than a Dart but he doesn't think it's worth it cause the Dart is a much superior piece. I paid $1800 for my Dart block last summer he normally sells them for $1900.
Depending how long ago, your machinist did a PBM/World block will make a difference. When PBM acquired, World Products cast iron division is when the changes took place. I believe; it has been a year now. Prior to that, it was still in Mitchell's hands. PBM completely retooled and the blocks meet ISO 9000, only 2 machining set-ups. The old stuff was tolerance stacked and had casting core shift, that had to be corrected. Before PBM came into the picture, I used to buy World @ 30% off WD. World changed things by offering complete engines, then they had you signing up or paying; I think $500 to get on their dealer list.
I can remember getting a couple of blocks that were bad. One was a new BBC, whole engine together, lifter bushings, decked. Put on dyno, had water going into oil, found fuel pump push rod bore had a porosity. World wanted me to send back, no credit for machining, said all blocks are vacuum tested??????? I over bored boss and made a bushing for push rod. Had another block that was only rough bored leaving .005 to take out. One of the cylinders looked like someone machined it a high feed rate and slower speed, left it so rough; I had to bore it again 4.530. So yes; they did have issues, with the World blocks and that's why; everything was redone by PBM.
PBM did back in 2008 have a small block, cast in China and it was a mess. Out of the 200 they sold; I was informed 3-4 came back as bad. They had record of where each block that was sold and to whom . That was bad publicity for PBM, after investing in a block and going down the toilet with it, isn't something a smart business, would do twice.
With out a doubt; Dart has a good product and has been around for a long time. Also in the past Dart, has had issues also and have been corrected. I guess; it just comes down to your preference of choice. Like cars, boats or anything else; you get what you pay for. Spend alot of money on a vehicle or buy one thats a throw-a-way, @ 100K miles.
Statements against a companies product; in reference to being made in the USA or China CHEAP, is something worth finding out.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:47 AM
Registered

I am sure PBM/World blocks are better pieces then when Mitchell was selling them, Customer support sucked back then I had to stop selling them as there were costing me to much money to repair them!!

Over the years I have seen some issues with Dart blocks and the Problems were taking care of the next day.

PBM stopped selling Dart blocks because they were shut off from Dart because they introduced the Chinese Dart Look alike block which turned out to be junk. PBM misled a lot of people advertising high nickel and high density blocks which was far from the truth, And it took a long time for them to spill the beans where they came from.

I did a lot of research on that block and found them to be junk.

Here are the links
Chinese look a like Little-M block
http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic...er=asc&start=0

Material make up of the Chinese Dart look alike block
http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18750

FINAL PROBING OF THE CHINESE LOOK A LIKE DART BLOCK

I think you will find the Chinese 502 block will be junk and simple sonic velocity test with a sonic tester can verify on how good of material was used. The Chinese block I tested was in the 1300"s and the Dart and the OEM blocks 1800 to 1900 in that area.

Also brinell test on the Dart Little-M was 200 and the SHP was 190 and the Chinese block was 113

I am sure that Dart, World and I see Blue Print engines now offers an all American made block.

Last edited by CNC BLOCKS; 12-20-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:16 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CNC BLOCKS
I am sure PBM/World blocks are better pieces then when Mitchell was selling them, Customer support sucked back then I had to stop selling them as there were costing me to much money to repair them!!

Over the years I have seen some issues with Dart blocks and the Problems were taking care of the next day.

PBM stopped selling Dart blocks because they were shut off from Dart because they introduced the Chinese Dart Look alike block which turned out to be junk. PBM misled a lot of people advertising high nickel and high density blocks which was far from the truth, And it took a long time for them to spill the beans where they came from.

I did a lot of research on that block and found them to be junk.

Here are the links
Chinese look a like Little-M block

Material make up of the Chinese Dart look alike block
http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18750

FINAL PROBING OF THE CHINESE LOOK A LIKE DART BLOCK

I think you will find the Chinese 502 block will be junk and simple sonic velocity test with a sonic tester can verify on how good of material was used. The Chinese block I tested was in the 1300"s and the Dart and the OEM blocks 1800 to 1900 in that area.

Also brinell test on the Dart Little-M was 200 and the SHP was 190 and the Chinese block was 113

I am sure that Dart, World and I see Blue Print engines now offers an all American made block.

It's a wonder you could even torque a head bolt or the mains on the Chinese blocks...
Old 12-20-2013, 04:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Carl,
Is it true that Pro Comp, is offering the 502 block we are speaking of, in different points of machining points?
Have you used any of the PBM or the World blocks that are now cast and machined in the USA. I know all the World blocks have met ISO 9000 certification, do you think they would change any of the machining for the PBM name block, and what would the casting material be in the PBM block verses the World?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.