Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Boat never got wet this summer - need advice ! >

Boat never got wet this summer - need advice !

Notices

Boat never got wet this summer - need advice !

Old 12-31-2013, 04:42 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Boat never got wet this summer - need advice !

Unfortanutkey my boat never hit the water this past summer due to low water levels and time ! Last time out was in July of 2012 along with a oil change and drive. I know I need to change the fluids, dump the fuel but is there anything else needed? I've pulled all the plugs to drain water an added a fuel stabilizer but that's about it.

Any info would be appreciated !

Thanks.....
Old 12-31-2013, 05:24 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Run the engines after you get the fresh oil and fuel in there. If stored indoors the fuel may be OK.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:34 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default dont dump the fuel

If you put fuel stable in the tanks you should be ok, don't dump the fuel , add to if and add some more stabilizer also...........

Jim
Old 12-31-2013, 05:45 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Appreciate the info - its stored outside in my driveway do I'll dump it- has about a 1/4 tank is all.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cigboat1
If you put fuel stable in the tanks you should be ok, don't dump the fuel , add to if and add some more stabilizer also...........

Jim
he has a blower motor.......DUMP THE FUEL........if your going to take it to salt water make sure you fog it down..
Old 12-31-2013, 05:48 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by cigboat1

Jim
If that's all I need to do I'm golden !
Old 12-31-2013, 05:51 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by FIXX
he has a blower motor.......DUMP THE FUEL........if your going to take it to salt water make sure you fog it down..
Thanks fixx! - no salt water ! I've tried getting the fuel out once and couldn't get into the tank- is there a method ??
Old 12-31-2013, 05:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

How bout starting it once in awhile ? It's hard to get it to temp in my driveway without flooding the neighborhood so I usually don't do it ! I know if it doesn't get to temp it won't burn off condensation so better not to mess with it ?

Thanks again !
Old 12-31-2013, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

it may be easier if you have access to the fuel level sender, to pull that to pump the tank. a lot of boat tanks make hard 90;s right where the filler enters tha tank and makes it hard to stuff in a hose.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:23 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rwbrew3
Thanks fixx! - no salt water ! I've tried getting the fuel out once and couldn't get into the tank- is there a method ??
I drain my tanks when I winterize my boat. I use a small 12V micro electric fuel pump (Mr. Gasket makes one and it's cheap); I disconnect the hard line going into the fuel filter and hook up the inlet side of the 12V pump to that line; put the other end into a gas can and pump all the gas out. This of course assumes you have a shut-off valve between your fuel pump/filter and the gas tank so you can stop the flow of gas while you disconnect everything.

You will have to get some additional fittings to mate the fuel hose to the hardline, but it's still pretty easy. In my case, I have a 525EFI and I just used the elbow that connects the hardline to the filter base. On one side, it's a 3/8" MPT and the other an SAE/AN fitting. I put a 5/16" hose barb to 3/8 MPT adaptor on the hose end and then a 3/8" to 3/8" coupler to connect the fuel hose to the elbow. The SAE/AN end stays connected to the hardline.

You will want to wire a switch to the pump (as I did) to make turning it on and off easier; you don't want to keep detaching/re-attaching to the battery terminals while you've got gas fumes all over the place. I took about 50-60 gallons out of each tank this way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.