Boat loads difficult on trailer >

Boat loads difficult on trailer

Notices

Boat loads difficult on trailer

Old 01-24-2014, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boat loads difficult on trailer

I have a 27' Signature on what I would say is a nice custom trailer. It has 4 bunks. The problem I have is that the eyelet for the winch is higher on the bow and it seems like when I back it in the water the nose wants to drop then catches the front v-stop thus making me have to go exhaust deep and get out and push the nose up and off from the stop. The bunks go about 2/3rds of the way up. I am new to boating but something isnt clicking. Trailer sits almost level, should I drop the ball height down. Any help would be great I would like to make some changes so that next year its easier and faster at the ramp. Thanks Bman
Old 01-24-2014, 12:35 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Could be a couple things that need adjustment. Front of the front bunks raised a little bit, and/or winch v-stop down a little bit. Try and get some pics of boat sitting on front bunks and also pics of winch v-stop, so we could see how much adjustment that may be needed on these items.

Do not adjust ball height if you are level.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:53 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,250 Likes on 543 Posts

Take a look at this thread:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...i-can-get.html

IMHO, 4 bunks is not enough. A picture of your trailer would help. Do you have forward bunks that support the front of the hull in V-formation?

The more forward and higher your forward V-bunks, the better the boat will load.
Here are some pictures of how to improve a trailer:
http://www.thehulltruth.com/trucks-t...bunks-2.html#b
Old 01-24-2014, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe you are backing the trailer in the water too far. Try to leave about 2 feet of the front bunk boards out of the water, and see if that helps. You may have to winch the boat up the final couple feet. Different ramp angles place the trailer at different angles relative to the boat when trying to load it.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:23 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with maybe too much trailer in the water .The boat should start contacting the trailer bunks or rollers and raising the bow towards the stop ..A lot of people put to much trailer in the water and try to "float the boat up" .Go watch some tournament bass boater load theirs by themselves and try to do the same on a bigger scale. As long as the boat has enough power to power up the pre-wetted bunks ,it'll make it easier
Old 01-26-2014, 06:31 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

the boat has to float to come off the bunks. so the stern has to go up. unless you put the hitch under water, that means the bow is gonna go down, the v-block has to be below the hook the winch cable hooks to. double v blocks about a foot apart might be the way to go. no matter what angle the ramp, it is too steep for the boat to sit on the trailer. boat is floating level on the surface and trailer is angled down below it.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I have a Roller and it is above the eye. I always felt this was the safest place to have the front stop. With my winch strap attached, the boat can't climb over the bow stop in a collision, it also makes it a lot easier to launch. I have a custom trailer also and that is the way the manufacturer designed it.