Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Anybody using these oil thermostat block adapters? >

Anybody using these oil thermostat block adapters?

Notices

Anybody using these oil thermostat block adapters?

Old 01-25-2014, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Anybody using these oil thermostat block adapters?

Thinking of getting a couple of these Hardin marine oil cooler thermostat block adapters. Do they work as expected? Any pros and or cons?

Thanks
Jim

http://www.hardin-marine.com/c-720-o...-adapters.aspx
Old 01-25-2014, 12:17 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Never used them but they look like a nice piece. The 3/4NPT is cool, and thermostat element resembles the mercury one.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:54 PM
Registered

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

thanks for showing, looks gd
Old 02-15-2014, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So nobody is using these?
Old 02-15-2014, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered one last week... will report back, but it will be a while!
Old 02-15-2014, 05:14 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I installed one last spring it's working well, but I had problem getting the cupper washers to seal. Had to heat them up with the gas torch and dip them in water.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:42 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I have used a few of them. They work great but have had an issue with the copper washers sealing. The first problem was due to polishing. After they were machined, they sent them out for polishing, The polisher was burning the corners off of the SS piece on the bottom and was causing leaks. They fixed that by surfacing them after polishing. We just found the next problem. When they are surfacing them, the end mill plunges down and then starts to make passes to surface it. The problem is that the bit is plunging in and leaving an indentation before it starts to surface. The indentations that it leaves span the entire surface,so they make a path for the oil to go from inside to outside. I just took them and surfaced them correctly by bringing the bit down first, outside of the material, and skimming across the surface. You could also just smooth it with a small grinder. I have made Hardin aware of the problem and sent them pics of it, so I'm sure they will have it fixed.

I really loved the thermo-filter mounts but they have been discontinued. They got to expensive to make and sell unfortunately. This one is still pretty new to the market so I expected some teething problems. Other that that, they work great.

Here is a pic of the problem area. It's not a very clear picture, but I circled the area where the leak occurs.
Eddie
Attached Thumbnails Anybody using these oil thermostat block adapters?-20140203_120132-large-.jpg  
Old 02-15-2014, 10:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had great luck with them, I too liked the oil filter / thermostat mounts alot, but as Eddie mentioned ... expensive to build and these are a whole lot more affordable.

Mr.Horsepower
Old 02-15-2014, 11:12 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also had the sealing problem! Ended up taking it out 3 or four times trying to get it to seal - took another bolt with a wider flat surface, and lapped it in with valve lapping compound and the suction cup stick tool. Still had to lay on my back reaching under my huber trans and crank on a 1/2 ratchet with a length of steel pipe to get it to stop leaking - could not get a torque wrench down there, and thought for sure I was going either snap the bolt, or stop the leak - after a week of hassle, it stopped leaking. The surface of the adaptor just was not perfect where the washer seated - almost like there was a void in the mold they cast it in? Also seemed like the washer was too hard - but the hollow bolt was stronger than I imagined, and just kept turning, LOL...
Old 02-15-2014, 11:18 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And thermostatically, they work great. My oil temp stays up through long no wake zones. My leak point was mostly on the adapter itself, btw, and not on the banjo fitting - although I did hit that with a flat file for a while till it was fully marking all the way across the surface - it did not have a mark or dent like the one shown above, but it was NOT a flat surface from inside to out.

Mine was purchased sometime in May or June of 2013.

Last edited by Hang Time 27; 02-15-2014 at 11:25 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.