Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Merc 350 engine knock..help! >

Merc 350 engine knock..help!

Notices

Merc 350 engine knock..help!

Old 02-01-2014, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 286 Likes on 177 Posts

Mine made a sound like that when one of the exhaust valves let go and trashed 3 more cyls.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If its a rod knocking it won't have any oil pressure. What's your oil pressure at idle? It don't sound like a rod knock but its hard to tell threw speakers.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:16 PM
Registered

Sounds like a rod bearing to me. I spun one in my old truck with a 305 (originally I thought maybe it was the transmission because it was waaaay low on fluid, turned out to just be a coincidence), here is a couple of my videos for comparison:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx57kMkpIXM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQZFcyccfb4

The squeal is the rod bearing working its way out between the rods I think. Made for some good pictures when I tore it down.

Sometimes I would lose oil pressure until I rev'd the engine, then the pressure would come back, other times it was just fine. When I pulled the engine and tore it down the crank was wore down about .040; I knew the engine was bad and needed replaced but I figured what the hell, one more run to the landfill won't hurt it any worse....

I also did the pulling of the spark plug test, no change was heard. The knock was the piston slapping the head in my case.

Last edited by c_deezy; 02-01-2014 at 11:19 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by So2fast5u
If its a rod knocking it won't have any oil pressure. What's your oil pressure at idle? It don't sound like a rod knock but its hard to tell threw speakers.
Oil pressure is normal. No issues there.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by intimid8
Oil pressure is normal. No issues there.
I guess u will have to pay $75 bucks to get it looked at by a mechanic at the closest marina. It could be lots of things. If u can take some stuff apart and put them back then go with some suggestions givin here. Pull valve cover look around. Use a long screw driver with your ear on the end and listen around with it. If u got good oil pressure it can't be a rod knocking since its that loud!!
Old 02-02-2014, 08:50 AM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I have not read the entire thread.... If it has not been said, the first thing you need to do is too is take off the oil filter and cut it open. If you have any metal, more than likely you have a bearing going bad.
And yes you can have good oil pressue and have a bad rod bearing/s. Seen it several times, you might notice a small drop in oil pressure.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:34 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Yep had a 350 with a rod out the side of the pan and 30 psi oil press at idle. Throw that theory out
Old 02-02-2014, 03:00 PM
Registered

Ok there big boy what ever u say!!
Old 03-08-2014, 08:53 AM
Registered

Ok im very confused over here.

We pulled the engine and started it out of the boat and the sound disappeared. We also removed the outdrive too. When we put it back in the boat the sound came back. Removed flappers and its still knocking. Did the spark plug pulling and still loud as ever. Removed the belt and started her up and still knocking. Open the valve train all ok. What is going on here? I messed around with the screw driver and my ear and it sounds like it is coming from the intake. No leak from exhaust manifolds either.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mechanical fuel pumps can make a noise like that. Sometimes sound can travel through other components and confuse you as to its source. I would cut the oil filter open. Fairly simple process - any engine shop should have the proper tool to cut the case open.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.