Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
lightning headers in a bravo drive 24-7 >

lightning headers in a bravo drive 24-7

Notices

lightning headers in a bravo drive 24-7

Old 02-02-2014, 07:05 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My Lightnings have the divorced collectors, which allow for some wiggle room if your exhaust ports are not in the stock location. My boat was originally small block equipped, and these allowed me to tilt the collectors down and closer together to make the connection.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:49 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by vintage chromoly
You are correct. I mocked up my bellhousing and inner transom plate and it looks like about 11 inches from the back of the engine block and the inner transom. According to lightning, the collector terminates 5 inches behind the engine block leaving 6 inches for wet hose and tips.
That is plenty of room. I had less than 2" between my exhaust tips and CMI unitops
Old 02-03-2014, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had a new set and had nothing but problems. they make good power and sound pretty good but the build quality isn't that good. i have seen them crack and had plenty of reversion. the header doesn't sweep very far back imo. find something that goes through the transom, you will be better off in the long run.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:32 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a guy in the swap shop parting out 525sc that has tails for lightning headers for 100 bucks
Old 02-16-2014, 08:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=cig92;4068411]i had a new set and had nothing but problems. they make good power and sound pretty good but the build quality isn't that good. i have seen them crack and had plenty of reversion. the header doesn't sweep very far back imo. find something that goes through the transom, you will be better off in the long run.[/QUOTE
You couldn't of said it any better! Had a set on my 496 and they didn't line up with the tips at all. standard bravo location for the tips.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I have a set of original Lightning headers on my 98 Velocity that are still like new. I had them pressure checked last year just to be safe and they tested fine. I'm running a big cam and I don't have any problems with reversion. Mine are the freshwater stainless inner and mild steel outer tube.