builder question?

Notices

builder question?

Old 02-03-2014, 05:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Not a dumb azz for noticing the one engine wasn't dyno'd. Things should have stopped here. I know, hindsight.

But, IMHO, a dumb azz for doing timing without a gun. Yeh, I'm old, so I know the old days, but you live and learn and thus why shouldn't touch a thing without a gun.

Do you have the Hi-6M crane boxes ?

If so, what timing curve (# on the dial) did you have both of them set at ?
yes crane hi-6m boxes set at 0retard 0advance 5700limit i called them out on the not being dynoed right in the beginning they had my money and parts i was at the mercy.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

as far as standing there to hear the second engine, they were supposed to call, well they did!!!!!! to tell me they were ready to pick up, never said come to hear it.i know you guys would had went there yada yada yada, this is a big builder not some guy in his garage.builds offshore race motors,i just think they slipped this out hoping it would work but it didnt. now im stuck holding the bag or cash.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

we dialed in the timing with the gun on 36. like i said the first one timed right on, the non dynoed wouldnt set 0n 36 rev it up to 3000 set it at 36 but cranked hard real hard , so after screwing with it i put it in the water i adjusted it by ear. then it started and ran good. for a little while.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

The fact it wouldn't idle, and they said "throw some timing at it'' scares me. Timing it by ear also scares me. That worked in cars 30 years ago, because in most cars, you can hear it pinging if you had too much advance. Youre just not gonna hear that in a twin engine offshore boat especially with closed hatches and through hull exhaust. If one distributor was NOT locked out, and you set it to 36* at idle, well then you probably had 54 to 60* of timing once up and running.

I'd say it pretty much sounds like you're screwed. With all the bs you've been through on these builds, I'd be looking for another builder. You got a pair of N/A 540's, life shouldn't be this hard.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

This is crazy. I hope this gets together for ya Johnny
Old 02-03-2014, 06:00 PM
Registered

Johnny, pull the distributor cap off the hurt engine. Try and twist the rotor and see if it moves back and forth. If the distributor which I am assuming is a msd, isn't locked out, you may have been able to get the light to show 36 degrees at 3000, but that doesn't mean anything. If heavy springs were in the centrifugal advance, the timing could still increase later in the rpm band, irregardless of what the crane box is set to. By 5000RPM you could have been pulling in additional advance which would result in what you have there.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:23 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyboatman
yes crane hi-6m boxes set at 0retard 0advance 5700limit i called them out on the not being dynoed right in the beginning they had my money and parts i was at the mercy.
What setting was the dial for timing set at ? It has 7 positions. Starts at 0 and last position is 6.

Who phased the Tbolt Rotors for you ? Where they phased per instruction sheet ? Or did you get them from Daytona sensors.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:52 PM
Registered

Received 1,204 Likes on 577 Posts

Merc distributors don't vary timing the ignition module controls timing. I love my HI-6M's
HI-6M Manual
http://www.sportcompactonly.com/manu.../90006462b.pdf
Old 02-03-2014, 06:54 PM
Registered

I was assuming he had MSD because he spoke of possibly one locked and one not locked. I wasn't aware of a way to unlock a merc distributor.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The builder set the dust, timed, etc, I installed them plug in my harness and changed nothing as far as timing etc, as far as a new builder well that's coming to, my money is as good as others is, everyone is acting like twisting the dust by ear is such a bad deal it broke a starter and ring gear the other way, and if I paid so much for these builds why am I having to time them if they were done correct on the dyno. I asked him if they dynoed this engine he assured me they did, no proof just taking there word, maybe his guy told him they did just to speed up the build

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.