Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cam suggestions for 383 build >

Cam suggestions for 383 build

Notices

Cam suggestions for 383 build

Old 03-14-2014, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Make it simple and call Bob Madera at Marine Kinetics. He nailed exactly what I wanted and gave me a no BS expectation for performance.

You can tell he lives for this stuff and knows exactly what to do considering whatever goals you have.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain YARRR
Make it simple and call Bob Madera at Marine Kinetics. He nailed exactly what I wanted and gave me a no BS expectation for performance.

You can tell he lives for this stuff and knows exactly what to do considering whatever goals you have.
That was the plan to start with but sometimes you have to change plans. After making the auto and property insurance payment yesterday I came up short of having enough to even buy the 350 hp cam that muscle marine has and that is just $250. There was a time when I could make house payment, truck payment, insurance and more out of one weeks check and still have hundreds left. Not anymore. Lifes a ***** then you marry one. The Dodge is starting it's death wobble thing so next payday, 2 weeks away is no guarantee that there will be money left over for a cam and Bob can't make a living based on my promise to pay him next payday. Sorry for the rant but this payday was another let down. A smart man would sell the boat but not me. Damn the torpedo's, full steam ahead.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:51 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

That suks. Sounds like time to sit back and wait...but that's personal advice which you are not asking for and we should not give out.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:15 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

[QUOTE=38special;4090162]That was the plan to start with but sometimes you have to change plans. After making the auto and property insurance payment yesterday I came up short of having enough to even buy the 350 hp cam

Just curious, what are the specs on the 350hp cam
Old 03-17-2014, 01:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
That suks. Sounds like time to sit back and wait...but that's personal advice which you are not asking for and we should not give out.
I think that is sound advice SB and I don't mind at all. I have other things I could sell to buy the cam and more and I would have in past years but now days I see that as going backwards. The next check will be freed up to use more of + I have a start to some decent overtime on it already. Some day I may tell you the story how I bought the boat the same day I got laid off while working in San Antonio Texas. I made it to northern Oklahoma before running out of fuel and money both and had to call my wife to put some money in my checking account so I could make it up to Wichita. I thought it best to keep the fact I had bought a boat quite until I got home. Boy did the sparks fly when I pulled into the drive way with the boat hooked up.Lol After 2 weeks of wet sanding and buffing it looks brand new and my wife told me it's a beauty.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by GPM
Just curious, what are the specs on the 350hp cam
I'll ask him when I order the 400 hp cam and post. I suspect one or both were grinds used in Scorpion apps.

Last edited by 38special; 03-17-2014 at 01:41 AM.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:29 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

It's not that important.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:33 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Sure. I'll take a stab it.

It will be much faster if you're wife is driving it.
Made 429hp at 5800 and 416ft lbs. at 4700. Fully dressed, Stainless Marine Exhaust, ready to drop in the boat. :-)
Old 06-18-2014, 10:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bobl
Just for FYI on this discussion. I just finished dynoing another 6.2 build. It's an early model 6.2 with the 4 bbl type intake. I rebuilt it with forged pistons. Raised the compression to around 9.8. Minor bowl work on the Vortec heads. We used a Comp 270 hydraulic roller. Stock exhaust with stainless replacement risers. It made 380 HP at 5700 RPM, and over 370 from 5200 on up. Torque was 423 at 3900 RPM.That leaves a 500 RPM window from 5200-5700 where the power is pretty much flat. So as with many other 6.2's I've done, that head, cam and exhaust package works really well but pretty much hit it's limit by 5400 RPM, but if you want to turn more rpm it doesn't completely just die, just no real benefit.

Hope this helps,
Bob Lloyd
Full Throttle Marine

Bobl, I have been reading about your great success with the 6.2s for quite some time, and have a question. The build that you speak about above , was the original efi kept , and if so, did it have to be sent off? Also I have a 98 6.2 with the 90mm throttle body and mefi3, would mine be considered the early model with the good intake .? Thanks so much for the advice
Old 06-19-2014, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=01Sea;4139999]Bobl, I have been reading about your great success with the 6.2s for quite some time, and have a question. The build that you speak about above , was the original efi kept , and if so, did it have to be sent off? Also I have a 98 6.2 with the 90mm throttle body and mefi3, would mine be considered the early model with the good intake .? Thanks so much for the advice[/QUOT

Yes, yours is a much better candidate.. A good efi intake would still help, just adapt the throttle body to it.The mefi 3 makes it a lot easier to tune. A lot of people can tune them.

Bob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.