seeking trailer tire advice >

seeking trailer tire advice

Notices

seeking trailer tire advice

Old 03-06-2014, 02:37 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default seeking trailer tire advice

I have a couple of trailer tires that are shot on my trailer and the other 2 look like they are on their way to shot also so I intend to purchase all new tires this year. after doing some searching I am reading about bias vs radial and what brands are better. from what I have figured out is almost all trailer tires are over seas made and poor quality. I am reading that allot of people, and I mean allot are switching to LT or light truck tires and not having nearly the amount of issues as the trailer tires are giving them. I even read a couple of things about MYCO trailers using only LT tires. I called the local shop that has been around forever and told them about this and he acted like I was crazy and that he would never even consider using a LT tire on a trailer. I told him that we have dealt with allot of issues with tires over the last few years and he told me that you should not expect more than 4 years out of even the best trailer tires. From what I am reading people are getting 8+ years out of LT tires on trailers with no blow outs or tread breaking lose. The other thing the local guy recommended is switching from 14” wheels to 15”, said it would “solve all of my issues”. currently I am running 215 75 14 radials on the trailer. I am running the trailer from Omaha to LOTO on a regular basis and don’t want to be stuck on the side of the road since we do most of our trailering in the evening. does anyone have any advice for me?
Old 03-06-2014, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first three boat trailers came with Trailer tires and I replaced most of them with tread left - on the side of the highway due to blowouts. Expensive name brand tires fared no better than less expensive ones. A friend recommended LT tires and I tried them on the third trailer. My troubles ended when I made the switch to LT's.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Upgrading to a 16'' wheel, if possible, gives you a much better choice in LT tires. In a 14'' tire size, i think you are stuck with trailer tires. I am unaware of any car or truck radial that has the weight carrying capability in that size.

A 14'' 205/75 Goodyear marathon has a rating of around 1760lbs per tire. Stepping up to a 15'' 225/75 marathon will give you 2540lbs per tire. Thats 5,080 lbs per axle, rather than 3520 per axle with the 14's.

A tandem axle trailer with a gassed up 25 baja, probably weighs somewhere around 6-7k lbs. You'd be pushing the limits of those tires (and prob the axles if 3500lb units). At minimum I'd prob step up to the 15'' wheel with trailer tires.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

My trailer had 16s and same 10 ply hd tires my 2500 has on it. No issues
Old 03-06-2014, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Had new Carlisle 15" trailer tires load range D on a triple axle trailer and blew 4 of them in one 200 mile trip in the summer. On advice switched to 16" Goodyear Marathon load range E and have had 0 problems in the last 10 years. The only tire I buy.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:26 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Go to E rated LT tires on 16" wheels.

or

Go to Maxxis E rated ST tires on 15" wheels.

Your local guy is trying to sell you what he can get you. He also only sells to local guys with local problems.

This topic is rehashed on this site every two weeks!
Old 03-06-2014, 11:13 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

E Rating is King . But if you can't get that . Just make sure the tires you get are not old and keep them covered ( out of the sun) because they get dry and crack.

You can buy good used tires with hardly any tread left as long as you check the date code and find they are only a year or so old. You never need tread on a trailer tire anyway
Old 03-07-2014, 07:41 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

My self lll be going to 205/75/14 D rated tires. The st or "c" rated 215/75/14 I currently have are just to close to max limit. I have had 2 blow outs already. It's hard to find 14" tires for trailers.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:25 AM
Registered

it seems that the kumho 857 radial is has been recommended on most all forums I have read on. its a trailer tire with the D rating which seems to be hard to find. tire rack has them at 125 a piece which is a bit steeper than the local trailer tires I have priced but if it helps avoid being stuck on the road I have no issues paying the extra. still researching

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....4857&tab=Sizes
Old 03-07-2014, 11:55 AM
Registered

discount tire told me that the kumho 857s are no longer available, he called the distributor and that's what they said. I asked him what he recommended and he said the new Carlisle, I said I have read nothing but bad stuff about them. apparently in the last 2 years the came out with a new tire that is the radial trail rh, has anyone used these? now this is the thing that has me thinking about grabbing these, for 12 bucks per wheel there is insurance/warrantee that you can add to them that for 10 years cover the tire against anything and is based off of tread use. I have never seen or read about trailer tires having low tread, they are not used for steering or to propel anything so that's why they do not wear much, at least to my understanding from what I have read today. so if this warrantee works the way described, I should not have to worry about a trailer tire cost wise for 10 years

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.