Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Y Pipe flappers >

Y Pipe flappers

Notices

Y Pipe flappers

Old 05-29-2017, 05:39 PM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I replaced them and have never thought about it again.

Chris
Old 05-29-2017, 05:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 377 Likes on 253 Posts

I left The rubber hose on the y pipe. So when looking at the flaffer i could not see how it was holding in place. Took the rubber hose off the y pipe, there are 2 pieces of rubbert insert that holds the metal shaft of the flapper. Those 2 square rubber piece hold in place by...???
The rubber hose on the y pipe! That why i could not see how to remove them!
Old 05-30-2017, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 754 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
there is a couple different versions of the water shutters aka flapper valves thru out the years - especially for the V 6 just saying. The most common ones are a rod that the shutters are attached to and there is slots on each side of the Y pipe that 2 small rubber gromment on each side holds the rod in place.

And just an FYI - Volvo penta does not use water shutters / flappers. Also in 1999 Volvo Penta came out with a SB to remove all prior year water shutters -

Merc does use them and 100 percent recommends they are installed and checked to make sure they are in full tact and operating correctly. NO biding movement or stuck.

But are they 100 percent a needed part - good question and here is why - most rec boat owners - half of them have water shutters burned up and or broken off - totally gone as they do not even know. Can not tell how many rec boats I have seen running around years without them - burn up and blown out the exhaust - or even stuck in the Y pipe and or stuck in transom assembly exhaust passage.

And again Volvo Penta does not use them period
Mine went MIA at some point without my knowledge and resulted in...
Attached Thumbnails Y Pipe flappers-bent-rod.jpg   Y Pipe flappers-piston-damage.jpg   Y Pipe flappers-skirt.jpg  

Old 05-30-2017, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Rebuild drive trim rams, flush drive trim motors & reservoirs and replace brackets, replace risers and Mani's and now this!! Always finding something new to check on, but much better than the above alternative.