What to do or say. >

What to do or say.

Notices

What to do or say.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:13 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What to do or say.

Here's what I got. We bid a trimaran sailboat that broke loose in a wind storm and tore the heck out of one of the sponsons. It took a chunk from the top about two feet and about a foot off the bottom part. We bid the job to have the sponson removed and it has to be split at the rubrail and come apart to be fixed correctly from inside out. There's another guy here that does less than desirable work and he got the job because he said he coud do it it the water and there's no way to repair right in the water. It's an insurance job by the way. So today I had to go to the marina this boat was in and I look at the job he's doing . He has taken tape and covered the hole and payed up mat from there. No replacing the balsa core, no inner structure repair, nothing but hiding the hole. This got me so pissed off and I don't know what to do. Others say let the owner find out on his own. Some say call owner or insurance company. I'm not mad we didn't get the job as we are slammed as it is but this guy is hacking this boat up bad. I've never seen such a shoddy job. It's unsafe and looks like crap and it will all be bondo and mat to give the illusion of being correct but ill repaired. One guy their who seen it too said looks like crap and knew he was repairing this all f&&cked up and said he would say something to owner cause sailboat guys run in wind blown packs. What would you do? Should I just laugh and move on or let the owner know that his boat is being hacked out. My jaw is still on the ground I can't believe this kind of work.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Walk away! Not your problem anymore.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:36 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

i agree,put it behind you.it,s the owners problem and in the end he will wish he went with you.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:05 PM
Registered

well............ It's a sailboat and most of those guys hate the sound of a big block chevy.. At least you know who did the crap work, keep it for your own knoledge. What Insurance company is it i wonder. That would be who is at fault unless he just took a Closed end estimate check from the insurance company .
Old 03-10-2014, 12:49 AM
Registered

It's foremost which is farmers. I will just walk away knowing we don't work like this. It just sucks that I'm watching someone getting ripped off right before my eyes. I would post pics but don't know how.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:50 AM
Registered

Thanks guys!
Old 03-10-2014, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Sounds like you will get the job in a few years..
Old 03-10-2014, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I think it all depends on who made the decision to have the other company fix it. If it was insurance who decided, I would tell the owner. If the owner chose the cheaper deal, then it is his problem. I would hate to have a crap job done on my boat when I had no choice in who was going to do it. Plus, I would not want it on my conscience if something happened and I did not say something to prevent it.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:29 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

I worked for a great guy who was President in an aerospace company about 7 years ago. The guy had so much business wisdom it was mind boggling. I swear the guy was always right, made the best strategic decisions and was humble too... The two things I learned from him were dont grovel for work or you will attract that "type" of chiseling crappy customers. Ans if THEY take it for that price "they will bleed" he would say - meaning they will either lose money or screw it up. And they did. In the end he said "they will come back" and they always came back in 6-12 months like clockwork.

So +1 to everyone here. Dont take it! You can bank on the fact they will come back.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:57 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Do you feel as though the vessel will be unsafe or un-seaworthy when completed with the shoddy repairs?

If YES, I don't think I could keep my mouth shut.
If the owner is (or possibly new owner if it goes up for sale after completed)...
...heads out and the boat comes apart; and injury or worse takes place...
...I feel as though I'd have to speak up to the owner; or his friends.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.