Need cam help! >

Need cam help!

Notices

Need cam help!

Old 03-11-2014, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookie
Not that I'm promoting the Procomp heads... I saw that there was a pair on the flow bench a few months ago so
I asked Jim how they flowed, he said surprisingly well with a little work. He did mention that the cores were not consistent
and the walls varied so be careful if you remove any material. So if that is all you have run them. I'll see if I can get the final flow #'s.
I've heard the same things regarding the pro comp. Decent flow, but poor consistancy in the castings.

Rookie, whats your take on this video? Or Jim V's? I've heard about this kind of quality workmanship from the big head manufactures regarding valve jobs in the past, when it comes to buying a complete bolt on ready to run set of heads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-7lgXGani4
Old 03-11-2014, 10:04 AM
VP of the tickfaw200

Received 149 Likes on 61 Posts

Called a local parts place and they told me the heads are fine if you but them bare. It's when you get their compleat set up is most of the time an issue. They sale pro comp and all the others. Didn't try to talk me into another bran at all just said to crap the parts on them If it was pro comps springs valves etc
Old 03-11-2014, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by caseyh
Called a local parts place and they told me the heads are fine if you but them bare. It's when you get their compleat set up is most of the time an issue. They sale pro comp and all the others. Didn't try to talk me into another bran at all just said to crap the parts on them If it was pro comps springs valves etc
Having the right springs (and other valvetrain components like lifters, pushrods and rockers) is extremely important to reliability in a marine engine, especially with an aggressive, high lift roller like that one. If you skimp in this area, it will very possibly come back to bite you.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 1,212 Likes on 583 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I've heard the same things regarding the pro comp. Decent flow, but poor consistancy in the castings.

Rookie, whats your take on this video? Or Jim V's? I've heard about this kind of quality workmanship from the big head manufactures regarding valve jobs in the past, when it comes to buying a complete bolt on ready to run set of heads.
Yes, we have talked about this before. I believe he loves explaining to his customers why he has to charge them for a guide hone and a seat job on their new ready to run heads. Or, someone will buy complete heads, throw them on their engine and then when it turns over it sounds like their is a dead hole and the leak down sucks. There are some that are better than the others, but all of the manufacturers need to be double checked.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER

Kind of makes me want to pull mine off and have everything checked.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:29 PM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Wobble
Have to say, when I pulled my motor out of the jet boat and re-cam'd it for the 28 footer I told Harold I wanted decent idle, nasty sound from 1-4 k and all the power I could get to 6500.

It pretty much spits fuel at 2k, but I never drive it at that rpm.

I dont know if they Bob and Harold know each other, but the time they are willing to spend with a potential customer is priceless
Absolutely. I spent over $20k with Bob in the past six months and while that will probably buy a little time I'll have to say that Bob never tryed to rush to get off the phone and wanted to make sure I was totally informed and comfortable with where we were going with my project. We spent hours on the phone, several hours. There is no equal in my book.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:57 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by caseyh
They are perfectly fine to buy bare and put together with good parts until you run it and the valve seats fall out because the aluminum is so crappy. Whatever parts place you are talking to either doesn't know what they are talking about or just wants to tell u what you want to hear. Don't believe me call people that know what they are doing and are the best when it comes to cylinder heads and ask them. Any reputable engine builder would not even let you get through the door with that kind of junk.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:21 AM
Registered

My biggest worry on a marine engine running the ProComps would be porosity in the castings. Even if you get the other issues with questionable machining straightened out so they live past 100 hours, you have the long term issue of a water jacket becoming porous and turning your engine into a cappucino machine.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 4,366 Likes on 1,250 Posts

So then is this not a good leakdown test?

http://33outlaw.zenfolio.com/img/s5/v121/o548260849/c1/p904307208-215.mp4
Old 03-12-2014, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Budman II
My biggest worry on a marine engine running the ProComps would be porosity in the castings. Even if you get the other issues with questionable machining straightened out so they live past 100 hours, you have the long term issue of a water jacket becoming porous and turning your engine into a cappucino machine.
I split a cylinder once with Brad Penn Green oil. I had shamrock shakes for everyone back at the dock. Looked like St. Paddys day in my bilge