Cylinder head port sizes. >

Cylinder head port sizes.

Notices

Cylinder head port sizes.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

My personal belief which may be flawed but IS what I believe - when you look at a AFR 315, 335, 357 they all have the same exact exhaust flow/exhaust port , I don't believe making intake port flow so much that Intake to exhaust ratio goes way below 75% to about 60% can make motor magically make alot more hp as air still needs to get out. You can force air thru a mediocre intake port as long as it doesnt pose alot of restriction but it still has to get out. You can bandaid it by adding a bunch of extra exhaust duration and lift but now your bleeding off cylinder pressure , causing drivability issues, and giving up torque? There are proven combinations out there, I guess it depends what your looking to do. I made 1100 hp and over a 1000 ft lbs of tq with slightly modified afr 315 cnc heads on my Procharged 540 fwiw, Smitty
Old 06-17-2014, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this is somewhat related.

http://www.powerblocktv.com/two-minu...-351-cleveland
Old 06-18-2014, 12:38 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
My personal belief which may be flawed but IS what I believe - when you look at a AFR 315, 335, 357 they all have the same exact exhaust flow/exhaust port , I don't believe making intake port flow so much that Intake to exhaust ratio goes way below 75% to about 60% can make motor magically make alot more hp as air still needs to get out. You can force air thru a mediocre intake port as long as it doesnt pose alot of restriction but it still has to get out. You can bandaid it by adding a bunch of extra exhaust duration and lift but now your bleeding off cylinder pressure , causing drivability issues, and giving up torque? There are proven combinations out there, I guess it depends what your looking to do. I made 1100 hp and over a 1000 ft lbs of tq with slightly modified afr 315 cnc heads on my Procharged 540 fwiw, Smitty
Yeah Steve, I always admire your input---I almost forgot about your combo. Bob Madara reminded me of your head/combination application a few years back when I ordered the AFR 335's. Since I have posted this thread I have since then spoke with Bob---and he's crunching the power numbers for my combo right now. Anyway, I know you're very intelligent, honest and straight forward guy, a wealth of info and one of the best "test platforms" I have ever seen. and I know you and Bob have worked together in the past. I hope to see you out on the water again as we have in the past.

Also, the intake valve size is the same (2.30") between the AFR 335 and 357...and if the 335's and the 357's get into too close of a "hair splitting" situation, then I would prefer to actually use the 335's that I still have new in the box. Not sure if even 50-60hp would make me change my mind---I mean, 1100hp would be fine enough for me if these things can get there by 6000rpm---I guess we'll see. Bob Madara and Dave Wesseldyke have always been my "go to team" for all my stuff and of course Dave Wesseldyke puts them together and makes them run good----2 super intelligent minds that have been working together over the past 10 years.

Anyway, you never know if or when Bob may show up and give a piece of his input on some of this supercharged port size theory stuff. Just when you think you have it all figured out, o'l Bob comes along and can make you feel pretty stupid in a heartbeat without pointing a finger and Wesseldyke is brilliant at it but doesn't say much....But if there was ever a topic that Bob would say a line or 2, then I think this might be one of those topics and I think he's pushing 70 years old and he isn't going to go away either!---------and he aint gonna die!

Okay, I have said all I can say for now---tried to add a little humor in with this post. I always enjoy talking with all you guys, but just not on here much anymore. I will probably disappear for a while again until I have another question or get my warsh tub hog in the water at some point some day.

Last edited by KAAMA; 06-18-2014 at 12:54 AM.