Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Anyone had issues with burrs in the lifter bores on GM Gen VI blocks? >

Anyone had issues with burrs in the lifter bores on GM Gen VI blocks?

Notices

Anyone had issues with burrs in the lifter bores on GM Gen VI blocks?

Old 03-29-2014, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Budman II
Thanks Mike, she's recovering and working hard in rehab, but at 84, every day you have with them is a gift. My kids are also at the age where spending time with them take a front seat over the boat, cars, etc. Someday soon they will be grown up and off on their own, but right now I am going to enjoy being with them while it's still "cool" to hang with Dad. That's part of why I sometimes kick myself for not taking the easy way out by just building a stock motor for this thing, or dropping in a takeout. Oh well, water under the bridge, I'm going to see this thing through now. I'm just keeping myself up at night worrying that another clusterfuq is going to bite me in the azz on this thing. I realize it looks pretty goofy that it has taken me two years to put together a relatively simple 600 hp big block, but I'm learning as I go on this thing, and trying to do it the right way. Hence the reason I hit everyone up with all of these crazy questions. Hopefully someone else can learn something from all of my issues I have dealt with. I think MT and ICDEDPPL have found some benefit from my valvetrain geometry issues. Hopefully someone will read this thread and realize that they need to check the fit of their lifters in the bores BEFORE they assemble the rest of the engine.

Peace out guys!
Just razzin ya Bud. Your questions arent crazy, its all good stuff. The person who is afraid to ask, or afraid to try something new, is usually the one who will fail at some point. Hope you mom recovers well.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:49 PM
Registered

Received 4,235 Likes on 1,216 Posts
Thumbs up

Exactly! Plenty of people out there who think they know it all when in fact they should be asking tons of questions.
Your valve train thread led us to learn lots of new stuff.
Carry on buddy.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:34 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys. Spent part of the afternoon welding up a startup cart. Hopefully I can get this thing buttoned up by the end of the week and start dressing it out.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 4,235 Likes on 1,216 Posts

Its the finishing touches that can take the longest. I`m there now rewiring everything, new ignition, replacing every fastener (I swear every bolt is either too long with 5 washers or a few lock washers or too damn short).. I`m keeping my local Fastenal in business thats for sure. Its slow going but its gonna be right when I`m done.

Last edited by ICDEDPPL; 03-30-2014 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Budman As proven by your questions in the other threads, that asking questions is enlightening to all of us because of the answers/thoughts that follow. When some guys throw together an engine in a few hours, and they run OK, and others take their time to get it right, power levels and reliability increase dramatically as proven here on OSO. (many thanks to MILD, ICDEDPPL,MIKE for sharing the details of their builds) Quote from a former employer of mine "the difference is in the details and don't forget it kid" Good luck with your project!