Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
What am I getting into with a 1998 47' Fountain Lightning that needs new STRINGERS??? >

What am I getting into with a 1998 47' Fountain Lightning that needs new STRINGERS???

Notices

What am I getting into with a 1998 47' Fountain Lightning that needs new STRINGERS???

Old 04-01-2014, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

There was a thread in the fountain section about someone doing a similar job. I think it was In a 42.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:10 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by chris_dobz
I realize that I will have to make a substantial investment in tools which is yet another I'll need to know before I start but other than that I'm mentally prepared and looking forward to the challenge.

Cheers,
Chris
A grinder, lots of disks, some pails for resin, a cheapo digital scale for mixing resin, a pair of scissors. A saw... nothing really fancy needed.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will do! I'm in VA Beach this Friday for my final survey. It doesn't run so I'm also bringing my mechanic with me. I have a laundry list of concerns with this rig but hopefully things go better than expected.

Originally Posted by jeff32
this one was seriously on my list!!
keep us updated!!!
Old 04-01-2014, 10:13 PM
Registered

Do you have the link handy?

Originally Posted by 88bullet
There was a thread in the fountain section about someone doing a similar job. I think it was In a 42.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:04 AM
Registered

why waste money on survey your going to do work anyway order your wood and buy sawzall angle grinder tyvec suit and resperator take lots of pic and the biggest thing in fiberglass work is be sure everything is ground clean and no sharp edges on anything new round all edges
Old 04-02-2014, 07:28 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

That's a LOT of hard work. With all of the big triple engine boats for sale right now that no one seems to want, AND are difficult to insure (have you checked this?)...
...if it were MY money and time, I'd get into something that was ready for the water right now.

Even if you have to finance; what is your time worth to you?
You are never going to get the $$ investment back on the boat.
If you could double down on the something else you do well & efficiently for $$ (side jobs, extra hours, other stuff); I'd look into financing or obtaining a boat that is ready to run. This is one instance where $$ can buy you time; and that's the 1 thing that hardest to come by. Time boating with family & friends, and enjoying life is much better than grinding, gluing, and wrenching for what, maybe a full season, or more?

Just my $.02.

Also, I would not use Seacast or any of the pourable systems in an offshore boat for anything structural.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

best way to find out what you really have going on in suspect area's is to drill down into them...see what wood looks like coming out...you will know quick how bad/deep etc....
Old 04-02-2014, 08:04 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have to agree with Sydwayz here.. from the looks of that boat of what's posted on Boat Trader, you're going to be spending a LOT of time and money getting that boat ready for the water and in the end you will still have a hull that's 16+ years old.

These 47's need a lot of care and feeding; I just dropped close to $30K getting my 47 in shape and that's for a 2009 that was in GREAT condition. Granted, a lot of what I did was preventative but mainly because I don't want to miss a minute of the boating season if I can help it.. And in these boats, everything is times 3...

Sydwayz also has a good point on the insurance... very few carriers will cover this boat... my insurance went from $840 / year on my 38 to $4,100 on the 47.

If you're in this for the sport of the project, then I guess it makes sense for you, but there's definitely a bunch of 47's out there that you could probably get into faster and have better resale value in a market that's already softer than a baby's bottom. I've looked at almost every one of them, so if I can help, feel free to ask..
Old 04-02-2014, 08:43 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by chris_dobz
I am looking to buy a bank owned 1998 47' Fountain Lightning but the marine survey mentioned that there are a few spots on the stringers that sound like there might be some rot. So I am having Jeff with Invasion Boat Works (www.invisionboatworks.com) put together a proposal and estimate on the total cost to rip out everything and replace all three stringers in an attempt to get the bank to significantly lower its asking price. Knowing that the surveyor found some questionable spots I am assuming that right off the bat that I would want to replace all three stringers. The ball park pricing I received from Invasion Boat Works using something called Seacast was about $20K out the door for them to do all the work including tearing out all the interior.

Has anyone on this forum owned a 90's 47' Fountain Lightning that needed new stringers and if so what was the process, who did you use and how much did it cost you in the end? Also, is there any real benefit to using Seacast over marine plywood? What is the cost difference between Seacast and Plywood and what would be my cheapest option to replace the stringers?

Thanks for your help in advance!

- Chris

Is it a triple engine boat? If so and your considering this much work,.. then I would change it to a staggered and sell of your third set of hardware.

You can always re-sell a staggered easier than a triple also.

Jon
Old 04-02-2014, 10:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im doing the same thing now. Everyone has an opinion on how you should spend your money.
Either
A) Buy your project dream boat that you rework every inch of and get to know it like the back of your hand and its better than new.

or

B) Work the same amount of hours you would have on the project but instead at a part time job and then buy a better boat that you will still sink money into.

I believe at some point all boats turn into a project, sum bigger than others. I dont believe seacast belongs in performance boats, besides the effort it takes to hollow everything out your gaining nothing by using it. And yes do a stagger instead of triples.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.