Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Engine Dyno vs. Boat >

Engine Dyno vs. Boat

Notices

Engine Dyno vs. Boat

Old 08-22-2002, 07:37 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

I spoke with someone today who is extremely familiar with Crower Cams for marine applications and gave him all of my engine specs head flow, etc, etc and he said the cam I was using was too small for a 540 marine BUT he said for the heads being ported more than what they really should be on a marine engine that the Crower cams I now have should work very well for my particular engine application. He said he would NOT have deviated much from that at all. Thanks again for all the input. I guess we're just going to have to run it and see.
Old 08-22-2002, 07:44 PM
Registered

Oh BTW Crazyhorse, thanks for your ingenious input! I'll be sure to write that down. And thanks for including me in the Team Chaos Club. Does that now mean I am a Team Chaos Extrodinare?
Old 08-22-2002, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, run them and see how they do. I would still like to know what the cranking cyl pressures are with your combos. Check them on a hot motor after you get running. See ya at Hardy in a couple of weeks.
Old 08-22-2002, 10:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup. Team Chaos members are extraordinary all right. Get that thing in the water so we can all go "Ooh-aah" at the dock.
Old 08-23-2002, 08:56 AM
Registered

Well, just got word that my driveshafts are finished and ready to be picked up and installed. Had to center the KE thermo filters on the front mount brackets---they were slightly in the way of the headers. Also, we had to do a little wire reconfiguration on the harnesses, but that is now finished. We were able to mount the PS-92 Crane coils there---they JUST fit. I have one wire alternators and we were able to eliminate a few left over wires from the previous stock type alternators and we figured out where everything goes for sure and eliminated anything we didn't need. We've tested the Tilton starters and they're now installed. Had to lengthen one water cooling hose from the water thermostate housing to the header---actually we've been doing that little piddly kind of stuff A LOT here lately. Like I have said, it's those little details that set you back, but once it's done correctly the first time hopefully it won't come back to haunt us later. We'll see if we can get the engines installed by tomorrow (Sat.)---it just might happen you know!
Old 08-24-2002, 11:18 AM
Registered

BTW, I think Hot Boat weekend at Hardy Dam should be interesting-----sounds like A LOT of boats are going to be showing up there!
Old 08-25-2002, 12:16 AM
Registered

Well gang, it doesn't look like my boat will be ready for Labor Day weekend either! We had one of the engines sitting in the boat, but couldn't quite get it to set in with the tail pipes attached and need to cut, move and redirect the tail pipe's little jumper tubes that go from the header collector flange to the tail pipes. They're just in the way of the deck as they exit through the transom of the boat. So we have to modifty those as well as grind a just a little glass from the deck. But we worked on it for about 9 hours today and ALMOST had those engines in---DANG! But it's coming---it's coming----but not yet!