Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Late model vs early model MerCruiser Sea pump question? >

Late model vs early model MerCruiser Sea pump question?

Notices

Late model vs early model MerCruiser Sea pump question?

Old 04-14-2014, 04:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Late model vs early model MerCruiser Sea pump question?

My 454 has the early style sea pump that is the 3 piece design...my question is, can I replace this with the 2 piece design found on the late model pumps? I cracked the section that the hoses conect too and cant locate a replacement that comes with that?

Any help would be great!
Old 04-14-2014, 04:03 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes, done it. 3 piece is considered superior however. More leaks but better wear.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's possibly the best answer to both wear and performance. The reason three piece has always worked great is dual wear plates or a wear plate on each end of the impeller. The plastic body wears day one.. We offer the feature in a two piece design. http://www.hardin-marine.com/p-14544...rhaul-kit.aspx
Old 04-15-2014, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Hardin Marine
Here's possibly the best answer to both wear and performance. The reason three piece has always worked great is dual wear plates or a wear plate on each end of the impeller. The plastic body wears day one.. We offer the feature in a two piece design. http://www.hardin-marine.com/p-14544...rhaul-kit.aspx
Looks very nice. Looks like you need to buy barbed fittings as well.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:01 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 252 Posts

I put this stainless pump on my boat and I am very pleased with it. I think it is well worth the money for what that's worth.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:20 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Hardin Marine
I purchased this housing and I seem to be running a little hotter than with the plastic housing, but I don't have to worry about replacing the housing every season. I have started removing the impeller at the end of the season so I can get a couple of seasons out of it also.