Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Help, Motor won't start. Merc 454 Mag EFI >

Help, Motor won't start. Merc 454 Mag EFI

Notices

Help, Motor won't start. Merc 454 Mag EFI

Old 05-05-2014, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Time to find someone who knows what they are doing .
Old 05-05-2014, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an issue with an engine not starting once and what i did was swap the fuel feed lines on the engines. And the motor started right up. Ended up being a broken Fuel pick up.

My lines coming out of the tank didn't have enough length to swap pick ups so i just went to the part store got rubber hose with a union type fitting and extended the fuel line.

This will help you find out if its a Fuel issue
Old 05-05-2014, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FIXX
open up yjr blavk metal box where the ecm is at,its about 8''x3'' once open their are 2 fuse leads in their,one is for the ecm and the other is for the fuel pump..might have a blown fuse in their or one of the releys are bad..
Ok, turn key and no fuel pump kick on, pressure tested Schrader Valve and no fuel pressure. Swamped relay with good side motor and no fuel pressure. So I'm down to a blow fuse which I can't find the elec fuel pump fuse, or fuel pump is bad. Any idea where the electric fuel pump fuse is at?
Old 05-05-2014, 01:59 PM
Registered

I checked with a fuel pressure gauge and nothing. Turn key and no fuel pump prime. I swapped the relay from the working motor and still no fuel pump. So I think I'm down to fuel pump or fuse. I can't find a fuse for the elec fuel pump and can't get a reading with volt meter.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:51 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

What do you mean when you say "i cant get a reading with a voltmeter". As in there is no voltage present at the fuel pump connector with the key on? Or physically cant get the leads connected?

There should be a fuse like fixx said. Actually, I think there are 2 or 3 fuses on that engine. At least 1 being for the fuel pump. Can you trace the wires feeding the pump
Old 05-05-2014, 03:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dmaxximus
Ok, turn key and no fuel pump kick on, pressure tested Schrader Valve and no fuel pressure. Swamped relay with good side motor and no fuel pressure. So I'm down to a blow fuse which I can't find the elec fuel pump fuse, or fuel pump is bad. Any idea where the electric fuel pump fuse is at?
in that box...they might have weather caps on them to prevent corrosion...pop thecaps off and look for a fuse under it..
Old 05-05-2014, 03:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
What do you mean when you say "i cant get a reading with a voltmeter". As in there is no voltage present at the fuel pump connector with the key on? Or physically cant get the leads connected?

There should be a fuse like fixx said. Actually, I think there are 2 or 3 fuses on that engine. At least 1 being for the fuel pump. Can you trace the wires feeding the pump
I think the fuses are mounted to the lid of the ECU and main wiring box and all those are good. No pressure in rail and noise from pump when key turns on. Did spray starter fluid in spark arrester and it fired. So gonna swap good elec fuel pump motor with bad and see if she fires or at least comes on and pressurizes system.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:27 PM
Registered

also check the circuit breakers on the dash,,could also be a fuse panel in the boat..my formula has 3 of them..

BTW @ he fuse's did you test them for power ? just looking at them does not mean they are good,,i have found blown fuse's that looked good but were blown..

Last edited by FIXX; 05-05-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:31 PM
Registered

also make sure the main plug engine harness is tight,,i have seen those come loose and cause all sorts of problems..
Old 05-05-2014, 07:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by FIXX
also check the circuit breakers on the dash,,could also be a fuse panel in the boat..my formula has 3 of them..

BTW @ he fuse's did you test them for power ? just looking at them does not mean they are good,,i have found blown fuse's that looked good but were blown..
No didn't test but I did pull the pump and ran power to it and it ran. Put it back in and ran power to it again while cranking and no fire. So now back to square one. Turn key, no warning buzz and no fuel pump prime but motor cranks. Spray Stater Fluid in and runs on that. So like others mentioned, safety or started switch is acting funny and not allowing to power the elec fuel pump. Thanks again to all, thought I had it this time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.