Help, Motor won't start. Merc 454 Mag EFI >

Help, Motor won't start. Merc 454 Mag EFI

Notices

Help, Motor won't start. Merc 454 Mag EFI

Old 05-07-2014, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FIXX
OK BACK TO THE BOX....If you test for power their at all 3 fuse leads on both sides,,all those leads are triggered from the ecm...the landyard safety tether that goes to your wrise also goes to the ecm which powers up the ecm..check the circuit brakers and what ever side of the tether feeds power to the tether or lantyard to power up the fuel side of the ecm that provides power to the fuel pump..like i said some boats have more then one fuse panel..

if it all checks out either your ignition module is bad or your ecm took a crap..
Ok good idea and thanks, can't get to it till memorial weekend so hopefully I get it figured out or it's gonna be a $hit weekend!
Old 05-07-2014, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Is your boat on a lift at LOTO? If so what MM?
Old 05-07-2014, 11:16 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaxximus
I even ran power to it (not a great idea) while cranking and no start. Communication issue for certain
I didn't catch this the first time. If you powered the pump with 12 volts and it turned on and still wouldn't start there are other issues. Did you unplug the main harness and check for corrosion?
Old 05-07-2014, 02:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
I didn't catch this the first time. If you powered the pump with 12 volts and it turned on and still wouldn't start there are other issues. Did you unplug the main harness and check for corrosion?
I went through all the elec connections and fuses I could find, my boat has never seen salt water and has never sit in the water overnight. Not to be egotistical but its pretty dang clean everywhere. I have a few wiring diagrams and troubleshoot flow chart now so hopefully will lead to prob. I have the VST and removed the elec pump and it was clean inside, so going to back track electrical as the guys mentioned. Ignition Switch isnt talking to ECU and Fuel Pump so I'm guessing it's somewhere between there. They were both running 3 weeks ago after de-winterization. Thanks for your suggestion
Old 05-15-2014, 02:42 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Any updates?
Old 05-15-2014, 02:53 PM
Registered

Any updates?
No man I have been out of state since that weekend. I called a local tech and hes gonna try and diagnose it and see if it throws a code. He seems to think ECM by what I was telling him but I know that story so won't fall for it just yet. I ordered a new ignition and kill switch just incase it's one of those. I had battery problems that day and had to charge battery, I was wondering how sensative EFI is to weak battery. It was plenty to crank it and shock the **** outta me checking for spark but doesnt mean it's enough to power the system right?
Old 05-23-2014, 05:01 PM
Registered

Ok gents back at it again and down to no power to starter relay or fuse. Maybe a bad ECM on memorial weekend when I can't get one would be just great. F@ck
Old 06-03-2014, 12:10 PM
Registered

Any updates?
Swapped ECM with good motor and it fired right up. Sent ECM to Bob at MEFIBURN and he said it's cooked. $1100 for a new one or around $850 for a used one on Ebay. Not sure it's worth the risk of buying a used one, any suggestions?
Old 06-03-2014, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Crazy expensive. That would be a $30 part if it was not for a boat.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice to hear you found the problem, don't know if thats a good price or not but for the two prices you posted I would get the new one since it isn't all that much more. Send it back ttt and see if someone has one at a better price.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.