Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Newly rebuilt 525efi will not fire...  help! >

Newly rebuilt 525efi will not fire... help!

Notices

Newly rebuilt 525efi will not fire... help!

Old 05-17-2014, 06:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newly rebuilt 525efi will not fire... help!

hello everyone.I have a brand spanking new 525 EFI that has not been fired since the rebuild.... everything is hooked up and I have it on a custom engine test stand.... mocked up exactly like it would look in a boat. The motor turns on, the fuel pump pressure rises, and the motor turns over no problem. The main issue is that the spark plugs are not firing. When I take out the number one plug and place it to ground and turn it over I do not see any spark. I do have the mercury test computer so if I need to dig n to the PCM for information I can do so.

since the motor was completely dismantled rebuilt and then put back together, would i need to recalibrate top dead center with the PCM? I would think the trigger wheel with automatically trigger firing the first cylinder in the sequence but at this point i am out of solutions. Thanks in advance everyone for the help!
Old 05-17-2014, 09:53 PM
Registered

Crank shaft trigger is bad? There's a GM number on it that will cross at a auto part store, or swap it off the other motor to check.

Last edited by raisingkane; 05-17-2014 at 09:58 PM.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by raisingkane
Crank shaft trigger is bad? There's a GM number on it that will cross at a auto part store, or swap it off the other motor to check.
Good point and thank you. I tried swaping out the sensor for another one but still the same result. I have (3) 2004 525efi motors and (2) 2010 525efi motors so i have extra parts... still no dice. Could the crank trigger itself be bad? Im thinking that it has to be electrical... something i may have missed between the sensor and coil?
Old 05-18-2014, 08:41 AM
Registered

Been thinking... if it is not the sensor or trigger wheel... then could I possibly have the cam sensor (looks like the distributor) lined up incorrectly? I took the cap off and cannot find any TDC marks on it. Does anyone have a picture of what this should look like? Just thinking that if the cam position sensor is not lined up properly, maybe it goes into a disable mode?